Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kiene hakenkreuz...

I have no idea where to post this;

This is not about political uniforms, or medals...

I figure since tinnies are essentially period trinkets, that maybe this would be somewhat related to tinnies (which can sometimes pass off as coins or pins);

I have a small collection of Imperial, post-WWII, as well as "Reich" monies.

I have looked, but have had poor luck finding information on some of these monies, primarily at this time, I'd like to post about a couple coins I have;

I picked up today a randomhouse publishing book entitled "official blackbook priceguide to world coins #14".

Germany is pp365-383

I have a 1936 50 Pfennig, as well as a 1948 10 Pfennig (this is an "de-nazified" issue, looking exactly like a 1940-1945 issue with only a modified eagle with the Hakenkreuz removed);
    neither of these coins are listed in my guide... which I am now thinking of bringing back to the store - because with my small collection already having two coins not listed, I am thinking that it will prove to be a waste of my money...

Does anyone else here have a collection of 1924-1948 monies that they could tell me what books to look for, or if both of these coins are rare or common?

Danke!
    p.s. please forgive any spelling errors I might have.

Dear unruhjonny,

Welcome to our society! Having collected Third Reich, Kaiser Reich, Weimar Republic and post-war memorabilia for a number of decades, I have amassed a number of German and related coins and paper currency brought back by vets who I have met. Not claiming to be a numismatist by a long shot, my one library resource for this area of collecting is a soft-bound book published in 1998 titled "Collecting World Coins: A Century of Circulating Issues 1901 -- Present" by Chester L. Krause and Clifford Mishler. While this volume is now thirteen years old and one has to be aware of that when quoting values from it, it contains a comprehensive amount of coin photos, mintage numbers, mint marks, and values varying from Fine to Uncirculated. I have found both of your coins listed in this book.

50 Rpf 1936 in aluminum: this coin in Fine condition is worth between 50 cents USA and $1.00 USA depending upon the mint mark; examples in Very Fine condition can go up to about $10.00 USA.

10 Rpf 1948 in zinc: my book only lists two mints as having produced this coin. The Berlin Mint (A) appears to have only produced a very small number of this denomination in 1948 and it is considered quite rare. In 1998 the value of this coin ran from $5.00 USA for examples in Fine condition up to $35.00 for examples in Uncirculated condition. The Stuttgart Mint (F) also minted a limited number of coins for circulation in this denomination and year -- less than 20,000 -- and in 1998 they ran in value from $1.50 USA for an example in Fine condition to $15.00 USA in Uncirculated condition.

Again, this information is thirteen years old and anything could have effected the market and the values of coinage since 1998. But it appears to me that your 1936 coin is quite common, while your 1948 example may be much more value according to it's rarity and within the range quoted above. And as we know, value is placed by those who are willing to pay an amount!

I hope this information is helpful to you. I close with best wishes in your future collecting,

Br. James

Comment

Thanks for the reply!!

Although I do not post here too often, I have been here for a while.

The 10Pf is from the Stuttgart mint.

The 50Pf is actually not aluminum;
      Rather is smaller than the aluminum prior & post pressings (of which I have 1920A, 1935F and 1939J), and seems to be made of nickel;
      It also has a Berlin mint mark.
      It appears to be the same size & composition of the 1949 50Pf.

EDIT: It's like this one;
      http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-50-ReichsPf...item588cbab398

I will look into that book - thanks very much!
      Last edited by unruhjonny; 02-21-2011, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X