Tinnie Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tinnie Help

Here are some pics of a few tinnies that I picked up. They appear to be original, although some of the letters on the first one are not symetrical. Does anyone have any idea what they represent?
    Thanks, Del
    Attached Files

Tinnie Help

Pic 3 & 4
    Attached Files

Comment

Tinie Help

Last pic
      Attached Files

Comment

First is a tinnie for the support of the reclaim of the SAAR area(I think).
        Second=DT Deutsche Turnerbund
        Third=Volksbund für das Deutschtum im Ausland(Assc. for Germans living abroad).

All original

Comment

Dear Del,

Schönbeck is right on the money! From bottom up, the first is a rally badge created for a major demonstration taking place at the 'Germania' memorial overlooking Rüdesheim in Gau Hessen-Nassau (Niederwald) in 1933 in support of the reunification of the Saarland/Rhineland with Germany. Reunification took place two years later.

The DT ribbons relate to the German Gymnastic Association; Google them for further details.

Your last badge was struck to commemorate a reunion of the VdA organization taking place in 1939, possibly for a school class of Auslanders that studied together.

Hope this is helpful. Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Tinnie Help

Thanks James & Schonbeck for your information. Here is the back of the last tinnie. I am thinking that the pin was repaired (put back on) due to the lump of sauder.
            Attached Files

Comment

yes repaired but still a nice badge.

Comment

I agree again! Tinnie pins -- like tinnies themselves -- were cheaply made, either to be given away by the sponsoring organization or to be inexpensively sold at the event. Volume, then and now, means everything! Since tinnies were intended to be worn on the day of the event itself and not long-lasting souvenirs -- there were often more expensive table medals and other more permanent items being sold at such events -- little care for longevity in tinnies was taken. I would assume that most people finding that their badge pin had broken off during or after the event would simply have tossed it away in the nearest trashcan, not worrying to have the pin reunited with the badge at some later time. But the owner of your pin did want to keep it and perhaps wear it again at some other, possibly related, event, so he/she either had the original pin soldered back onto the badge or a new, more substantial, pin attached.

Seems like there's always a story beneath the story, doesn't there?

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X