Adolf Hitler & Long Service Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adolf Hitler & Long Service Awards

here's a thought that crossed my mind late last night after several hours of sitting around mindlessly at work...

Hitler only wore decorations he had earned, the EKI and II and the black wound badge. But, wouldn't his length of service entitle him to wear the ribbon bars of political long service awards? And why didn't he?

Hi Brig:

I would suggest looking at the thread in this catagory entitled "Hitler personal item with diamonds !!!!" and look at my responses related to that post. I can go in to a little more detail if you wish, just let me know.

Hope that helps:
    Matthew Greer.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Greer
      I would have to agree Hitler was a stickler for not being flashy. From what I have read and researched he only wore the following on his military uniforms: "I'm doing this from memory so bear with me." WWI Iron Cross 2nd class "I think", Black or first grade Wound Badge WWI, His Golden Party Badge, and a gold tie pin of the Party eagle. On his civilian dress "suit" he wore his Golden Party Badge and again the stick pin of the party eagle in gold. Hitler was adamant about this subject, he always wanted to give the impression that he was just another average German. It was all part of the "Fuhrer mystic".
      Now it is a very real possibility that it may have been "Fat Herman's" since he wanted or coveted just about every major award and rank avb. under the regime. But I am 99.99% sure that it probally didnot belong to Hitler, or if it did he never wore it.

Just my opinion:
      Matthew Greer
      And here is that post... I think Matthew pretty much covered it as far as what Hitler wore, except it should read "Iron Cross 1st class".

Now as far as what Hitler was awarded, from what I remember it was EK2, EK1, Bavarian Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with swords, black Wound Badge, a Regimental citation for bravery and I think I am leaving out one more medal...

Comment

Originally posted by Vadim K
        And here is that post... I think Matthew pretty much covered it as far as what Hitler wore, except it should read "Iron Cross 1st class".

Now as far as what Hitler was awarded, from what I remember it was EK2, EK1, Bavarian Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with swords, black Wound Badge, a Regimental citation for bravery and I think I am leaving out one more medal...
        He had a Bavarian long service medal as well. On another thread from last year, Michael Miller posted some information on his service history:

1914 Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse: 4 August 1918
        (awarded on the recommendation of the Jewish Regimental Adjutant Hugo Gutmann)
        1914 Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse: 2 December 1914
        Bayerische Militärverdienstkreuz III. Klasse mit Schwertern: 17 September 1917
        Regimentsdiplom für hervorragende Tapferkeit bei Fontaine: 9 May 1918
        (Regimental Deploma for Extraordinary Bravery near Fontaine)
        Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz: 18 May 1918
        Dienstauszeichnung 3. Klasse: 25 August 1918
        Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer: 4 September 1934
        Goldenes Ehrenzeichen der NSDAP
        Blutorden der NSDAP: 1933
        Bach-Plakette der Neuen Bach-Gesellschaft: 21 June 1935

Incidentally, I found a cigarette card with a photo of Hitler wearing his Blutorden medal. First time I've ever seen him wearing anything other than his standard EK1, wound badge, and party badge..

--Chris

Comment

Didn't he award himself the July 22, 1944 Wound Badge?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X