SS Tinnie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Tinnie

A friend of mine had given this to me and I know absolutely nothing about tinnies. Can anyone identify it and give me some kind of background on it? I know my photographic skills aren't very good but I think you can get a good idea of its details.
    Front

Best regards,

Tony

Back
    Best regards,

Tony

Comment

Dear Tony,
      It was supposed to be a commemorative badge for SS members in Munich, in 1933.However, 99% of these badges are fakes made by Johannes Floch of Vienna, and have been on the market for the last 10-15 years.His are always Zink alloy and chemically aged.
      Yours looks like silver plated brass and could be ok!
      Servus,
      Josef

Comment

Hello Seppl!
        I have a question. What is the source of your information? As a collector of 'tinnies' myself, I am always interested in sources of information. Thanks! Marvin

Comment

It was featured in a German militaria collector's magazine as a fake from Floch in Vienna, about 15 years ago!

Comment

Thanks! Do you know of any books available that focus specifically on 'tinnies'.? Marvin

Comment

Hello Marvin,

there are a few books just about tinnies.The ones i use are by manions-he has a four part series of books on tinnies,Im still looking for a few volumes of these myself.Another excellent source is Mr Tieste who is a german dealer of tinnies,the only problem ive found with his books is that the text is in german.He has alot of books about tinnies,please let me know if you want his web page info.

Yancy

Comment

Hello Yancy!

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about Manions, and someone sent me the Tieste link. Tinnies are relatively iexpensive as compared to other WWII items. It is beyond me why someone would want to 'fake' them.
                I really need to get a library for these. Thanks again!

Marvin

Comment

I just got the latest edition of Reinhard Tieste's Tinnie book,it has pictures of 4,400 tinnies,with another volume out in July that has another 4,500 !The badges are all catalogued using Tieste's own system which match up to the catalogue numbers on the Tinnies for sale on his website.Each badge also has its current market value in Euros (which seem very cheap compared to English and US prices,I know where I will be buying from in future ).
                  Also just for you Yancy there is an introduction in English that explains the catalogue system and how to use the book

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X