FlandersMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this "non-knurled" stickpin original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this "non-knurled" stickpin original?

I received this 16 mm infantry assault stickpin from a forum friend recently. I had a couple of questions. First, is it a red flag for a stickpin to have a smooth pin portion without the knurling or notching? Secondly, is this infantry assault badge "too detailed"? It seems to have all the bronze finish and good detail. But could this one be too good for the period? I appreciate all responses!
    Attached Files

Reverse

On the close up view I am perhaps noticing several subtle "hash marks" on the pin (perhaps my imagination, though..lol) . Thanks again!
    Attached Files

Comment

Not much experience with these miniatures. But I like it.

Regards, Wim
      Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Stickpin

It is hard for me to say if it is original or not, but many period stickpins did have little hashmarks like a light knurling. The hashmarks and the knurling were to help keep it in place while wearing the piece. I do not think a lot of people are going to give opinions on this piece.
        It looks ok, and the quality is not "too good for the period" they were highly detailed when made of the good metals. And I have seen period stickpins that had to be authentic, that did not have knurling. Saying this a few years ago, I saw these made by Reddick and they had deep knurling. Usually reproductions
        have excessive knurling, rather than light or hashmarks. From what I have seen.
        I do not know if any of this helps you.
        Jack

Comment

Wim and Jack,

Your responses are indeed helpful, and I thank you very much. I know that, in this hobby, sometimes you just have to go with your instincts or gut feelings. I like this stickpin, and the cost was very reasonable. I also dug through my pins and found a "non-knurled" one that I would stake my life on (well, almost ) but it has a fading silver wash just like so many full size general assault badges I've seen and it looks 100% good to me.
          Attached Files

Comment

Both stickpins you posted look fine to me
            I wouldn't sweat the lack of knurling.

Andy
            Collecting minis and KVKs

Comment

Maybe just my eye's but I see slight marks on both your pins.
              Either way both look just fine to me.
              Dave

Comment

Dave,

I think you're right. I can feel a little roughness to the middle of the pins when I run my fingernail down it, but actually "see" them? With my soon-to-be 50 year old eyes?? Not a chance!!

Comment

These are the " hashmarks" I think Jack was talking about.
                  Nice looking pins. I have several pins with this style of knurling.
                  Dave

Comment

I like the Infantry pin regardless of the knurling or lack of it, because the striking detail is typical iof the silver and bronze versions. The majority of of the silver versions I've seen were solid backed and the bronze ones hollow backed for some reason.
                    I question the General Assault pin because of the lack of detail on the swastika. That was the German national symbol and they normally took great care to ensure that it was very clearly struck on even the small 9mm stickpins. I have one solid struck pin , a hollowback one and a "50" one in 15mm and the swastikas are all very clear in detail.
                    Lyn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X