Need help with an ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with an ID

Tinnies aren't my thing, although the more I read the postings here they are becoming more and more interesting. Anyway the item below I've had for several years and has always been an item I was curious about especially with the swastika being "reversed", it was part of a lot I picked up and I recently came across it again. It's plastic of some sort and measures roughly 30mm. square. Any info anyone can share about will be very much appreciated, particularly the markings on the reverse although I do know what the D.R.D.M. ( below the hinge) stands for.
    The other markings are on thge upper arm:

KLETHEN KREIS STADE

lower arm:

LANGOBARDISCH
    UM 500

Thanks
    Attached Files

Front
    Attached Files

Comment

This is one of a set of ten pins sold by WHW in 1941 it shows how the Hakenkreuz-Symbol was used by Germanic tribes in ancient times here are three others from the set.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks James

Comment

Also the Langobarden are an ancient Germanic tribe. Can't tell you anything
          about them unfortunately!

Patrick

Comment

Thanks for all the answers.

Comment

Also, KLETHEN KREIS STADE is not a maker mark, it is where this artifact was found by archelologists. Klethen is the city, Stade the greater area (also a city). The "um 500" after Langobardisch means the artifact dates back to the year 500.
              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Here is what these guys looked like:
                Attached Files
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

and this is where they lived:
                  Attached Files
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank H
                    and this is where they lived:
                    Frank H,
                    Thanks for the fascinating background on this item.
                    ... John

Comment

Originally posted by John Bart
                      Frank H,
                      Thanks for the fascinating background on this item.
                      ... John
                      An other "Germanic"tradition the germans did(1930-40's perhaps earlier too) ; Das Sonnewende-fest ( interperiod- the sun is coming back ); they made a weel of straw( ca 1.50m diameter) Put it on fire and pushed it from the hill. In the evening very impressive to see; very archaïc. In Nazi-German called
                      "Das Juhlfest" Free translated a feast of joy !!
                      Ben Baars

Comment

Those plastic pins were sold to obtain funds for the nazi benefaction campaign organized by the SS-gruppenführer Erich Hilgenfeldt. They reproduce objects founds in archeological excavations realised in Germany, Rome and Greece, and instruct the use and the evolution of the swastika in the antiquity...
                        These text is translated (not exactly) from Robin Lumsden book Himmler´s Black Order

[If there´s any translation error please advise me ]

Hope Robin doesn´t mind for quoting this text, if there´s any problem i´ll remove it.

Regards, Javier
                        Last edited by John Doe; 02-20-2004, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                        X