X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

robert e mcdivitt

anyone heard of this guy , for a fee he researchs gold party mem badges

Hello,
    Bob is a Pro and does good work.Naturally you pay but he is less expensive than others.Has sound credentials.(Did "it" for me)
    Cheers
    Seiler (Yank in UK)

Comment

can he research any gpmb and typically what is the final cost ?

Comment

Ask him what /who you want.He,ll give you a heads up.
        If I remember rightly,if nothing he will say so pretty quick.
        Worth a try IMO
        Cheers
        Seiler

Comment

Originally posted by Seiler View Post
          Ask him what /who you want.He,ll give you a heads up.
          If I remember rightly,if nothing he will say so pretty quick.
          Worth a try IMO
          Cheers
          Seiler
          thanks for the info seiler

Comment

He found data on half a dozen of my GPBs... He has quite an extensive list and worth an email if nothing else.

Jason

Comment

Robert has done research for me and i got 4 pages of documents and 3 fotos of the person so it could turn out quite well Terry !

good luck

Comment

my opinion

Only down side i can think of is: he doesn't tell you what its gonna cost ,as he determines that after he finds out whether the guy who owned the badge has any notariety, then nails you on the price if its someone famous, SS..or trys to charge a fee determined by that. At least thats the way i recall his policy is.

If he does the work, and then hits you with a fee, and you don't agree to pay what he wants,(because maybe you feel its too much or ridiculous) he puts you on a list of deadbeats and lists your name on the net. (even though you never got the numbers owners name and info)

If he just had a price for the standard research, i'd say i would have had him do several of mine,maybe even given him a tip if it was someone famous and i appreciated his work...or reccomended him to all my friends... but as a result of his policys..i have not done so. I can go to maryland and look myself or search the key , or buy a diesntalterlist etc , and have a whole disc to use for research i would have left to usethan spend the money for one name, and only have the info written on a piece of paper. Is that worth it to you?? You have to decide that for yourself, i chose not to hire him , as i could buy something with the money instead with so many unknown variables.

I think the excuse or reason he told me was it depended on the ammount of research he had to put into looking thru records, and i'm not sure thats true or false, so i elected to pass having mine done by him.

It reminded me of dealing with a mechanic, and not knowing what the bills gonna be up front, wich always bothered me.I always like to know up front, and not play a game like that.So he Might be a nice guy, but that wasn't my impression when i inquired about having mine done.As he got rather hostile when i wouldnt play his game and drove me away, like he didnt give a , you know what if i did or didnt. His way or the highway , but its his business, and he can do what he wants.

Might have been a bad day he was having, but I didnt personally like the attitude, but that's just my experience, and you'll have to decide on your own after he has done the work for you, or by the amount of plus or minuses barometer'd here from those who already have given opinions.Maybe if they can tell what it cost them,for the ones that have already hired him, and paid for his services ... might help.

I recall when someone in the 60s was selling the complete list of all 100,000 members numbers, and then all at once it disappeared. So you have to hear everyone's personal experience with him ,before you decide and don't just listen to mine as that wouldnt be fair to the guy IMO. In my case it would have cost me more than i paid for my badges to buy them, just to find out, but if you have no shortage of money,id say give it a go.

Jamie cross also offers the service, but how they compare i am unsure. I could care less who owned mine, as they were both vet acquired, and if and when the day ever arrives to sell, then and only then do i even care to know. But we all are not the same ...thats whats cool about freedom , we have a choice. But i dont think anybody here paid the same price to get their badges done, so i ask can the people who have already hired and paid him state what their fees cost them in the open first? (i am also curious about that).Also any comments to correct me if i am off base for clarification.

Comment

Robert doesn't charge by the "famousness" of the GPB recipient. He charges by the amount of work (research & time) is involved. The more a person is documented, the more research & photocopying he has to do. Or it may be that some people don't have extensive records, but are harder to find and take more time to locate. I suppose you can request less information about a recipient if you like to keep down costs, but it kind of defeats the purpose of research, donchathink?

I've found Robert to be good and professional. Like all professionals, agree on a fee up front (or a way to arrive at it, or the max you'll spend), and everyone's happy.

Comment

I have a few research files from Bob with up to 33 pages; low end is just 2. If you have the name it may cut your fee in half. But don't anticipate too much - sometimes the Alte Kaempfer was just a plain person or every now and then Bob even comes back empty handed !

Comment

Gbp

He was great to deal with for me!!! I received 7 pages of information. Jamie Cross militaria has a research service as well and has numbers listed on their website of GPB's they can service. But their service is inferior to Roberts as I only got a name and date of birth??? I seen on Craig G's site that he offers a service as well but have never tried him.

No matter the price, the outcome is well worth the price if one can put a name or even a picture with a gold party badge!!

Cheers,

hdmarley
                      Last edited by hdmarley; 02-17-2010, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I've had Bob do several of my items. I always found him great to work with and his prices more than fair.

Best,
                        Skip

Comment

I've used Rob McDivitt and Mike Constandy, and while I've had success with both researchers, I've found that Mike can turn up files that Rob wasn't able to find. I usually use Mike now--I know he's a member here as well.
                          Erich
                          Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Benndorff View Post
                            I've used Rob McDivitt and Mike Constandy, and while I've had success with both researchers, I've found that Mike can turn up files that Rob wasn't able to find. I usually use Mike now--I know he's a member here as well.
                            Erich
                            I agree with Erich that Mike can find info that Rob can't always find, especially when looking into SA members.

Comment

Hello,

What is Mike Constandy's username so that I might PM him? Or, if he is reading this, would he please PM me?

Thanks!

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X