Der Stahlhelm badge 1929

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Der Stahlhelm badge 1929

Thought I'd share this recent acquisition, I've always wanted one.
    Attached Files

Looks good, arent they usually engraved on the back also?

Comment

I have seen many engraved with owners member number &/or join date, and some without.
      From what I have seen, I think your statement is true, they usually are engraved.

Comment

nice example. been cleaned with wire wool or similar on rear. it is not uncommon to have unmarked badges of this age

Comment

rear of my 1929 exact set up. the wire wool or what ever used has removed the silvering on the pin clip to show brass on the one you show
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Chris.
            If you are saying that the entire reverse has been wire wooled, I strongly disagree.
            That would make it look like a road map, and even under magnification there is no evidence at all of any such abbrasive cleaning methods.
            If you are saying just the catch, well that might be a possibility, though why anyone would want to wire wool a catch is beyond me.
            Full silvering remains on the side of the catch not visible in the pic, and it is bent out of shape a bit, pointing towards the likelyhood of a normal wear pattern.

Comment

Regardless , i feel unmarked its gotta be a more unusually found badge with a sterile backside. May be someday like the sterile blood orders. Its truly one of my favorte badges as for quality, workmanship, and what it stands for. Now try and get one from every year. Anybody got a 1919 out there??? Thats the one id like to have if i could only have one. I really like your badge, you should feel very pleased to have finally found this one, I think i only had one in my life. Now you made me want to go out and find me one ....kudos X ray, a super badge .

Theres two types of people in this world....smart fellers, and F_ _ t smellers.

Comment

Great idea juoneen, a type set of Der Stahlhelm badges, that is doable.
                A truely superb design, it is - And a bit larger than I had always thought.

Comment

xray i was only giving an opinion on what the pic may of shown. i agree having the item in your hand is alot better.
                  i think these badges are really nice. as you may know the 1918 and 1919 are 35mm and all the other dates 30mm.
                  i am lucky only to find a 1918 to complete my set.

regards chris

Comment

Hey Chris, didn't mean to get jumpy with ya.
                    Congrats on your almost complete set, I have decided tp try for a set of my own, probably start with the more common dates and then see where fortune takes me.

Comment

xray this is what a nearly complete collection could look like. hope you do go on collecting stahlhelm as i think not only a very important part of post ww1 history but badge wise very nice
                      Attached Files

Comment

Outstanding, Chris.
                        Any stats on the relative scarcity of the earlier years ?

Comment

will try dig out the facts and figures for you. on my data base somewhere

Comment

Dear Doug,

A nice pin. I think these are vastly underappreciated esp considering the quality of the product.

Chris,

Wonderful collection. I have often thought of trying to get a complete colleciton of these badges/pins. Best of luck finding that last one.

Gary B
                            Last edited by Gary B; 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM.
                            ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

thanks gary

the 1918 is every stahlhelms holy grail

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X