MilitariaRelicts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eagle Order (eagle 'head' configuration)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eagle Order (eagle 'head' configuration)

Hi,

The following four images were taken off Charlie Synder's site ()

My question involves the configuration of the eagle's head. The feather, if you will, off the back of the eagle's head is not like any Godet eagle but was this type of eagle design ever used?
    Attached Files

the medal it came from:
    Attached Files

Comment

another example:
      Attached Files

Comment

and the medal it came from:
        Attached Files

Comment

I always took these to be the postwar remake (to be kind) version by our friend 'Souval'

Whether or not 'Souval' actually made them is still in question the is open for debate.

We sort of just assumed 'Souval' made them as they made absolutely everything else.

This type has also been cited as being period produced in 'Spain' or even 'Italy' both of these theories I find hard to swallow.

Comment

These cross's are copies. Most likely made in Spain. The quality is very low.

Comment

I had assumed they were reproductions. I had wanted to determine if the configuration of the eagle itself had any basis in original awards since the back facing head feather (or whatever it is) reminded me of some of the early political eagles of the type one sometimes sees in cast iron either for hanging on an office wall or to be placed over newspapers at news stands.

Comment

The Eagle as shown has no likeness to the type of Eagles that are on original pieces. I am currently working on a book that will cover these differences in greater depth. Also have been gathering repros to illistrate the differences.

Comment

The medal is not a repro it is the spanish made version of the order of the eagle, it was issued as a replacement for the original medal awarded during the civil war and ww2 to spanish individuals who helped the german cause, it was also awared to spanish volunteers in the german service. The medals have been discussed before on the forum,and i had one for sale on the e-stand.

Comment

I have no doubt they have been made in Spain, but after the War. The quality of these is of very low standard. At very best one could call them comemorative or souvener pieces. The Order was perscribed in 1957 by the German government, thus anything made from 1945, can not be described as original. The first piece shown, from CS site is the new fake coming I believe from Hungary.Well made, and has caught a number of collectors.
                    Last edited by WARLORD; 03-13-2009, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks WARLORD

Nice to know that these where actully made in 'Spain'

So is the Souval theory is just that?

Were any of the Spanish ones made during the war??

That might be one book I would like to get in on

Cheers

Comment

We have to guess they were made in Spain. The probability is high. Souval made some copies, you see some very good medals. As to Spain making them in the War, well that is a story a bit hard to come to terms with. These were the highest award of the German State. Put it another way, got some great Congresional Medals of Honour, made in Britain for our winners who were on the American side in the war, to make up for the ones lost. Can I sell you one of these?

Comment

THE MEDALS WERE INDEED MADE IN SPAIN FOR RE-ISSUE IN THE FRANCO ERA AND WERE WORN BY THE RECIPIANTS ON THEIR SPANISH UINFORMS,IF YOU DO A SEARCH ON THE FORUM THERE IS ALOT ON INFO ON THE MEDAL AND PHOTOS OF SPANISH MILITARY PERSONEL WEARING THE MEDAL.
                          THIS IS ONE LINK ABOUT THE MEDAL;
                          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...DE+EAGLE+ORDER

Comment

I have no problem with them being made in the Franco perriod. But they were not made before the War end in 1945. In the case of the Iron cross, War Merit cross and the Spanish Blue medal. These could have been made in Spain during the War. Most after. But they were not perscribed. The Eagle Order was only made by three manufactures, Berlin State Mint, Viena State mint and Godet. During the War, replacements would have come from the Chancellry. I must state again these pieces at best can only be concidered souveners. The Federal German Government forbade them, they did not forbade the Iron cross, War Merit cross and the Spanish Blue medal. These have no validity at all.

Comment

"These have no validity at all"

I bet the guys who wore them thought differently. Sorry Chris, I just couldn't pass on this comment

cheers
                              Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X