X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy with a question

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]

Hello to all!

My name is Dave and this is my first post. I think this site is great and I look foreward to learning my way around and hopefully make some new friends!?
    I have loved WWII history since childhood and have been especially fascinated with WWII Germany. It hasnt been until the past few years that I started collecting and boy do I have a lot to learn. My collection is modest! I have a few helmets, gear, photos, letters, medals, and a lot of original photographs.

Please excuse me if I have posted this is the wrong place but I have a question.......

I picked up this medal from a WWII vet reccently. It is a white cross with the black eagle and swastika. In the center of the eagle is a white shield with a red cross. The ribbon is frayed and in rough shape.On the back of the medal its marked CHR.BAUER WELZHEM

I know absolutely nothing about this medal apart from it being red cross.

Could anyone please identify it and maybe give me a little history on it? I would also like to know what it might be worth.

Thanks so much in advance!

Here is the link to the photos (sorry they arent the best)

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lep...medals&.view=t

Dave

Florida

Well, I don't get anything out of that link, but in any case you might get a better answer to your question in this other Forum!
    George

Comment

Dave, Your in the right forum what you have sounds like a 2nd class German Red Cross that was instituted in 1937 check out inclosed picture and see if it's what you have.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by James Noble; 10-23-2003, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jnoble
        Dan, Your in the right forum what you have sounds like a 2nd class German Red Cross that was instituted in 1937 check out inclosed picture and see if it's what you have.
        That sure looks like the one! Could you tell me who it would have been issued to and what its worth?

Thank you so much!

Dave

Comment

These were awarded to German and non-Germans who made a significant contribution to the cause of the German Red Cross. By the way yours is for men the womens cross was supended from a bowed ribbon. Hopeful someone else can put a value on it.
          Last edited by James Noble; 10-22-2003, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jnoble
            These were awarded to German and non-Germans who made a significant contribution to the cause of the German Red Cross. By the way yours is for men the womens cross was supended from a bowed ribbon. Hopeful someone elsw can put a value on it.
            Thanks for the info! I would appreciate it if anyone could possibly tell me the value of this piece!? Thanks Dave

Comment

Welcome to the forum

Dave,

Welcome to the club. I'm a newbie also. I think you will really enjoy this site. The expertese here is incredible and you can find someone, somewhere in the world that will have the answers you seek. To submit pictures yourself, you must send in $20 to become an association member and the site administrator will activate this privilige.

Greg
              sigpic
              Sgt. Mahlon E. Sebring, 82nd ABN, 319th Glider Field Arty. A Battery - Normandy to Berlin

As it was their duty to defend our freedom, so it becomes our duty to honor their service.

Comment

A firm from Lafayette, California called Delta International used to sell a fake of that particular Cross, it was item #175 in their old 1986 catalog, priced at $24.50 retail with 40 percent discount to dealers, & it was marked on the back in raised relief "CHR.BAUER, WELZHEIM". The enamel work was ok, but its rough edges with all those saw-marks gave it away; edges of originals are always finished nice & smooth.

Comment

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum....

If the item, (Womens version) I've posted, is the same as the one you're enquiring about you should put a value on it of around $150-200, dependent on condition....

Hope this helps....
                  Attached Files
                  Warmest Regards ... John

cimilitaria.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Komorowski
                    A firm from Lafayette, California called Delta International used to sell a fake of that particular Cross, it was item #175 in their old 1986 catalog, priced at $24.50 retail with 40 percent discount to dealers, & it was marked on the back in raised relief "CHR.BAUER, WELZHEIM". The enamel work was ok, but its rough edges with all those saw-marks gave it away; edges of originals are always finished nice & smooth.
                    That is some great information! Mine does have "CHR.BAUER, WELZHEIM". in raised relief but the edges are smooth!? Was thier an original that had the same writting on the back?

Thanks for the help

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by J Temple-West
                      Hi Dave, welcome to the forum....

If the item, (Womens version) I've posted, is the same as the one you're enquiring about you should put a value on it of around $150-200, dependent on condition....

Hope this helps....
                      That is indeed the one however its marked on the back.

Dave

Comment

I've never seen an original that had those markings on the back, but then again, I admit I haven't seen everything. All the real ones I've handled to-date had no markings on the backside, they were plain & smooth. An in-hand examination is the best way to go for having it checked out. The one Delta used to sell was a copy of the 1937 pattern 54mm Cross worn about the neck with the big wide long ribbon. For what it's worth, Angolia's book states that the reverse was plain. The originals had a loop w/ a 3 gold oakleaves device; Delta's fake merely had a plain loop for the ribbon. What's the size of your cross?

Comment

The Women's Cross (Frauenkreuz) was only 39mm, according to Angolia's book on page 114, and was identical to the men's version of the 39mm 2dClass Cross except for the ladies bow-ribbon deal. The book mentions that the reverse was completely plain. Value-wise, Forman's old 1993 book that I have gives the value at that time for the 52mm 1st Class Neck Cross @ $1500, & the 39mm 2sClass Women's Cross on bow-ribbon @ $250.

Comment

Welcome

Originally posted by Bob Komorowski
                            The Women's Cross (Frauenkreuz) was only 39mm, according to Angolia's book on page 114, and was identical to the men's version of the 39mm 2dClass Cross except for the ladies bow-ribbon deal. The book mentions that the reverse was completely plain. Value-wise, Forman's old 1993 book that I have gives the value at that time for the 52mm 1st Class Neck Cross @ $1500, & the 39mm 2sClass Women's Cross on bow-ribbon @ $250.

Welcome to the Forum Dave - great bunch of collectors in the membership - lots of fun also. Again, welcome. Best regards-

Kevin Sanders
                            Gainesville, FL

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Sanders
                              Welcome to the Forum Dave - great bunch of collectors in the membership - lots of fun also. Again, welcome. Best regards-

Kevin Sanders
                              Gainesville, FL
                              Thanks all! I really appreciate it. I love collecting this stuff but its hard to decipher whats real and whats fake. Is there a list of honest/reliable sources on the net that sell originals?

Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X