A Few Pins for evaluation - Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Few Pins for evaluation - Please

I have a few pins in my possession presently, all of which trouble me, albeit to differing degrees. Consequently, I would appreciate some second opinions.

1) M1/3 marked NSDAP member badge; maker mark looks correct cf. an example of an M1/3 shown on the site. The red enamel looks okay but the white, unsettles me. Also, the obverse font appears difference cf. (again) the one shown in the WAF database.

2) M1/13 DAF badge; has a pitted appearance to the reverse and I don't like the way the reverse is toned (the black finish). The enamel around the swastika dips - something else I don't like. There is also a seam around the edges of the badge.

3) Sympathiser Badge - RZM marked which in itself is perhaps a cause for concern, since the badge isn't of any standardised form. Also, it looks as if it has been either (a) dug-up or (b) aged due to the cruddy green(ish) coating. Fantasy piece? Incidentally, bought via the e-stand which is why I would like a second opinion.

Thanks for looking.

Best,
    Toby.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TobyR; 04-01-2008, 12:01 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Concerning the Party Badge: As you already mentioned the maker mark looks correct the same with the RZM logo. I understeand your doubts: This can be a very mint Party badge with the full silvering remaining on the lettering.
                Or it can be a high end fake. I think it could be a good one because of the correct reverse and the correct 'look' of the silvering on the letters. You will see the same colour of silvering on the lettering of minty GPB's. Maybe you could check the quality of the enamel under a magnifier and search for the slightest spots of black inperfections into the white enamel which is normal. Check the dot pattern with known originals. As far as I can see it does not match the pattern of the example pictured in Tucker's book. But most of the time there was more then one die used during production years.

Regards, Theo
                Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Hi Theo,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

There are some specks in the white enamel, so maybe I am just being overly paranoid.

Actually, another positive sign - traces of the base metal (copper colour) show through at places around the edge of the badge and on the RZM code.

All the best,
                  Toby.
                  Last edited by TobyR; 04-01-2008, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Here's my DAF for you to compare.

Cheers
                    Don
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Don,

Thanks for posting the pics of your example. They look pretty much the same to me. What's your opinion on the one I've posted? Does the enamel on your one dip between swas and cogwheel?

Best,
                      Toby.

Comment

Hi Toby,

Sorry I didn't comment further in my last post, had to find the damn thing first........

No I can't say that the enamel dips at all on mine. Neither is there a line around the edge. There are a few rough spots on the reverse when looked at with a loupe but I wouldn't call it pitted.

On your picture I can see a couple of marks on the outer edge of the cogwheel (about the 2 o'clock position), is this enamel damage, lighting, or flakes of varnish? On the whole it looks OK from those pictures but it may be one of those that need to be seen "in hand" to call it.

Sorry I can't help more.

Cheers
                        Don

Comment

Hi Don,

Thanks for your input.

Not so much chips but there are imperfections in the enamel around the cogs of the wheel.

Best,
                          Toby.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X