Nice Bird For My Trophy Cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin Harding View Post
    Santiago, you are quite correct regarding the SA Tinnie, it appears to be the quality of the fire gilding that is exceptional and perhaps has been burnished. I am actually so inundated with work at the moment I had not paid the Tinnie much attention. Since you apprecciate seeing tinnies here are two of my favourites. Both I bought from of Austria recently. Fascinating to see the diffence in 71 years of patina when the two are put side by side for comparrison.
    Beautiful, indeed!
    Thanks for showing!

Comment

The attaching pin has been resoldered. The first attempt to do so melted the original solder and it ran into the obverse stamping because of overheating the brass. If it had been done correctly the craftsman should have applied powdered tin first. Tin melts at very low temperature and provides a suitable surface for the lead solder to adhere to on brass or copper. Modern solders usually use a flux agent. The solder shouldn't be setting in a ball on top of the pin. It is an inferior solder that will pop off very easily. A very poor repair job.
      I believe the high polish was to remove the heat tarnish on the front when you over heat brass. You can get that kind of polish using red rouge polish on a polishing wheel and then hand burnishing with a red rouge cloth.
      The tinnie has been repaired poorly and should be priced accordingly.

Comment

Hello Bryran, thank you & yes I think you are quite correct the seller in Austria has sold me a few Tinnies where it appears he has tried amateur DIY I would rather the pin be missing than 'Badger the Bodger' tampering with period tinnies
        Regards Martin

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X