Danzig cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Craig, hi all,

sorry to have put some doubt into Giels mind.
    It is only my personal opinion but I just have doubts about the crown (ie. the gaps and the bottom part) and particularly the appearance of the rivets on the back. It would be great to see close-ups of the rivets.

Hope you all had a good start into the New Year!

René

Comment

ben a year

Originally posted by Craig Gottlieb View Post
      I'm going to carry this piece with me to Stuttgart and have Detlev have a look at it. This way, we can get some better commentary about the piece.

So whats the scoop as far as Detlev's opinion on the piece?

cheers
      Matt

Comment

My apologies - I never remembered to bring it over to Germany. I"ll try to remember this next time I go (in a couple of weeks).

Comment

Danzig Cross 2nd Class & Award Case

Reading this thread, I thought I would add my cross and case for viewing and reference. As well, it might solicit some additional information or leads as to the presumed SS-Heimwehr Danzig connection.

I have researched this piece and present it as a genuine, period award in an original, period award case - a marriage that I arranged since they unfortuantely did not come together.

The case bears an interesting story of its' own. It came to me from an estate settlement through a friend in Germany. The award case was empty, except for a small death notice cut from a period (Nov. 1941) German newspaper. The notice was for SS-Rottenfuehrer Herbert Kanzler. While I have not been able to find corroborating evidence to this effect, it is quite possible that the case (and the missing medal that it once contained) had been awarded to SS-Rottenfuehrer Herbert Kanzler.

Rottenfuehrer Kanzler died on 26.09.1941 in Lushno in a Soviet/German offensive involving the German 2. Armee Korps, the northern flank of which was anchored at Lushno. On September 24th, under the control of SS-Obergruppenfuehrer Theodor Eicke, troops of the 3rd Panzer Division, Waffen-SS "Totenkopf" launched the offensive that drove the Russians out and led to Lushno being retaken on September 27th. It was here that Kanzler was killed-in-action.

Interesting is that in December, 1939, members of the SS-Heimwehr Danzig were integrated into the SS-"Totenkopf" Division. I would like to believe, but cannot yet prove, that Rottenfuehrer Kanzler was tied to all of this and did, indeed, receive the Danzig Cross, 2nd Class while with the SS-Heimwehr Danzig.

I will appreciate receiving any information or comments which can be offered.

Thanks,

John
          Attached Files

Comment

Reverse view:
            Attached Files

Comment

Close-up of the raised maker mark lettering:
              Attached Files

Comment

The deluxe, red leatherette award case:
                Attached Files

Comment

Close-up of the maker's name on the upper inside portion of the case:
                  Attached Files

Comment

...and last but not least, the newspaper clipping:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X