Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA GRUPPE KURPFALZ plastic tinnie.

Happy Fourth of July to everyone.
    This is the other tinnie that my Father acquired from an acquaintance (see the other one on my last post, "Freising bear WHW" tinnie). This one is made of a grey plastic material. It is rather large for a tinnie, at about one and a half inches across. It is in good shape with just a few tiny, odd nicks and gouges to the surface. The pin on the back however, is heavily rusted but still functions. Within the first few minutes of handling the badge, the pin came loose and fell off, leaving a rusty recess where it had been. It appears to have been pressed into the surface of the badge when it was hot, and fits perfectly back into its former location. I guess a drop of glue will resecure it.
    The badge is very intricate, and I was surprised by this when viewing it under magnification. The helmeted soldier is wearing a belt with a cartridge pouch and bayonet on it. His helmet shows a rivet and the National decal quite clearly, along with a chin strap. The Brownshirt in front of him is wearing a belt with a shoulder strap. His kepi shows half of the eagle and cockade device being visible, along with a chin strap. His tunic sports a swastika armband and even has a button visible on the sleeve's cuff. His trousers have a pocket slash also. Both mens' facial expressions are also clearly seen.
    Around the outside of the badge are the words: S-A-GRUPPE KURPFALZ GRUPPEN-WETTKAMPFTAGE 1939. On the back side are the words: WALGO KIERSPE-BHF i/W M9/20. There is also the RZM logo.
    I have heard that these tinnies have been faked recently. However, I can find no other ones to compare it to. I guess the rusty pin could be a good sign, and at any rate, my Father gave very little for it. Does anyone have any info on these fakes, or have one of these tinnies to compare mine to? Any opinions or info would be appreciated as always. Indeed a very dynamic, cool pin.
    Regards,
    Eric.
    Attached Files

Sa Gruppe Kurpfalz.

Back side of badge.
    Attached Files

Comment

Sa Gruppe Kurpfalz.

Pin that fell off.
      Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Sa Gruppe Kurpfalz.

Thanks Ron C.,
          Yep that's the one. They are identical except yours is in better shape and your pictures are much better. Is it your opinion that these are original, and if so what value do they hold?
          Eric.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by E. A. Opperman View Post
            Thanks Ron C.,
            Yep that's the one. They are identical except yours is in better shape and your pictures are much better. Is it your opinion that these are original, and if so what value do they hold?
            Eric.
            Yes.....original. I have no ideas of current values. I have been inactive as a collector for over 20 years, and am not getting back into active collecting now...just photographing my stuff little by little to catalog it for my families use should I die. When I was collecting actively the last time I picked up much in the way of tinnies was not any later than about 1976, when I left Germany to return home. This type was bringing from $5-6 to as high as maybe $10-12 in some circles. I picked most of mine up in Germany at the fleamarkets for 1-5 DM each or less. At that time 5 DM was about $2. I have bought bunches of them such that it might figure out to 25 cents each I would have in them, but most I got in smaller numbers, say 1 to 5 or so pieces in a group. You might type the name of the tinnie into your browser and search. It may be you can find one for sale and see what they are asking, or someone else, who is current on prices, might help you here.

Ron

Comment

Tinnie

Eric, This is a nice SA tinnie but because it is plastic and from a later year ( the earlier years of course are better) they usually sell for $35-$50 depending on condition. Maybe a little more if you`re selling to a SA collector

Comment

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Polit...os/N02555.html

This is one of the more common of the SA tinnies and can usually be easily obtained in decent condition for a reasonable price. The one for which I posted a link has an asking price of $36 but is in excellent shape. The rusty pin, which now will be reattached, would cause the value of yours to be somewhat lower. Keep in mind that $36 is the dealer's price in this example. Hope this helps.
                Richard V

Comment

Sa Gruppe Kurpfalz.

My thanks go out to Ron C., Chris Lee, and Richard for the info they supplied on this tinnie. In regards to Ron C., that is a great idea (documenting your collection for your family in case of one's passing). As collectors we all know the amount of money these collections can bring in. I'm also keeping track of what I have bought, prices, rarity, etc. I find this not only practical but fun to do. Once again, thanks for everyone's responses. Now if I could just find someone with some info on my Freising WHW tinnie!
                  Regards gentlemen,
                  Eric.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X