Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freising Bear WHW tinnie.

Greetings to all,
    My Father collects antique wrenches and one of his sources (an admitted hoarder of all types of items) had this tinnie in with some other things he bought at an estate sale. Since he knew that I collected militaria he offered it to my Dad for next to nothing.
    The badge is heavy, and made of zinc with a steel pin on the back. It appears to have had a silver wash applied to the front which is still about 70% intact. There is some light oxidation and pitting on it, mostly on the backside. On the top of the shield is the checker board pattern for the Bavaria area of Germany. The image of a bear with a pack on his back is below this with the words FREISING below that. On the back are the words: DESCHLER & SOHN, MUNCHEN-9, KRIEGS-WINTER-HILFSWERK, 1939/40, M1/52.
    I have learned that the city of Freising still uses this image as it's symbol and it is displayed on their coat of arms. The checker board pattern would of course be blue and white, the bear black with a red tongue and claws, a red pack on his back with yellow straps, all on a yellow background. The story behind the image is that Saint Corbinian ordered the the bear to carry his luggage over the Alps after it had killed his packhorse.
    My question is, has anyone else encountered this tinnie. It kind of struck me as an oddball item, what with all the wording on the back, etc.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Eric.
    Attached Files

Back side of tinnie.
    Attached Files

Comment

One more view.
      Attached Files

Comment

Um, er....anyone....anyone?!
        Eric.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X