Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lifesaving Medal Recipient's Stickpin

Hi Everyone,

Just wondered if anyone else has one of these; member's badge of the National Association of Lifesaving Medal Recipients.

All the best,
    Toby.

PS Probably posted in the wrong forum but didn't really seem to fit in General Awards of the Wehrmacht.
    Attached Files

Close-up:
    Attached Files

Comment

Reverse:

NB All photos taken with a flash.
      Attached Files

Comment

You are right!! This is quite different! I have never seen or heard of this organization. Hopefully someone can shed a bit more light on the obviously obscure organization!

Comment

Hi Paul,

Curiously, in searching the web for info on the organisation (Reichsbund der Inhaber der Rettungsmedaille), I found the following pin (credited to Andre Huesken). I say curiously since his pin has a silver finish whereas mine is gold!

In checking his membership badge catalogue, no mention is made of different grades. He just mentions a members badge, which is how he describes the silver one he shows on the web.

I have no reason to doubt that my badge is a period piece. It displays all of the characteristics of a period piece.

Anyone else have any ideas about these and the significance of a gold one?

Thanks,
          Toby.
          Attached Files

Comment

I have seen these before and i think they are very interesting! i see nothing wrong with yours, and i own well over 300-400 stick pins. even though i have never held one, i see that it is made very good and your gold gilding is top notch and is in mint condition. I would like to know more about these and find them pretty cool, it will be interesting to see if there are 3 differant styles or just the slver and gold? so i hope more people show one if they own one or?

thanks for showing and very interesting!!!

gregory koepp

Comment

Until about 6 months ago I had only ever seen the silver, now this is the 3rd gold I've seen then. Could just be a coincidence......

Cheers
              Don

Comment

Thanks for the comments on this.

With the pin in hand, and having examined it with a loupe, it is indeed a well made piece. Shear marks and hand filing are evident. It is certainly a die struck piece with hand finishing. Also, the finish, although very strong shows rubbing at the highpoints: at such points the underlying base metal (buntmetall in appearance) can be seen. The wear has the look of something acquired over time, rather than something deliberately enhanced.

So, IMHO, indeed a coincidence to have seen several over the past half year. Personally this is the first I have encountered. Came from a good source too - same as my Lufthansa pin which was a veritable beauty.

Best,
                Toby.

Comment

I've had both silver and gold versions for over 10 years and believe them both to be good pieces. Like the pins pictured in this post, neither of mine is maker marked and both exhibit all the right construction characteristics for the period.
                  Lyn

Comment

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for replying.

Do you have any idea as to the significance of the different versions? Saving more than one person perhaps?

Best regards,
                    Toby.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyR View Post
                      Hi Lyn,

Thanks for replying.

Do you have any idea as to the significance of the different versions? Saving more than one person perhaps?

Best regards,
                      Toby.
                      Toby, my guess would be that the gold is for a longer period of membership of the club...maybe you got one after 20 years? Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for your reply. I did wonder if it might be connected with length of membership, similar to a long service award.

However, I also wonder, since if I am not mistaken membership was only for those who were recipients of the lifesaving medal, that the gold pin might be indicative of more heroic deeds.

Best,
                        Toby.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyR View Post
                          Hi Torsten,

Thanks for your reply. I did wonder if it might be connected with length of membership, similar to a long service award.

However, I also wonder, since if I am not mistaken membership was only for those who were recipients of the lifesaving medal, that the gold pin might be indicative of more heroic deeds.

Best,
                          Toby.
                          Hi Toby, At this stage, both option may be true of course or as a Third Option, it may just be a variation of the silver pin. ? Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

If I remember correctly and I'm still looking throught my library for verification, the different awards were based on how many you pulled out of the surf, versus length of membership time. Along the same lines as how the Mothers cross was awarded. Save 10 you get silver, save 20 you get gold type of system.
                            Lyn

Comment

According to Heeren-Huesken there were three organisations: Reichsbund der Inhaber der Rettungsmedaille (the one shown here) + Reichsverband der Inhaber der Rettungsmedaille + Verein der Inhaber der Rettungsmedaille. For each of these organisations, the Heeren-Huesken guidebook only lists one type of membership pin/badge. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X