Half Size Blood Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half Size Blood Order

Does anyone have information on the half size, uniface Blood Order medals? In 45 years, I have seen 5 examples and have never known their use, although they were all ribbon mounted. I wonder if they were for the next of kin of those who died during the Putsch. Of course, this is only speculation and I was hoping for a definitive answer.

Bob Hritz
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bob Hritz; 06-25-2007, 01:19 PM.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Medal detail
    Attached Files

Comment

Verso: without design
      Attached Files

Comment

Bob,
        I saw one sold a couple of years ago and the reverse was engraved with the guys name and bO number, have you seen them with such engravings?
        I guess its speculation as to their meaning. Next of kins,maybe. However the quality of finish and strike does worry me somewhat as to if they are indeed period? But have never handled one.

Comment

Craig Gottlieb had one a few years ago on his Site. I also heard they were given to famlies of those who died in service to the Party. Never have seen any documation to back this up though.

Comment

Hello Jon,

I had seen 2 that were engraved, at Stephen Wolfe's home. The other three I have seen are not engraved. I have 2: one from the ads Jeff Roth and I ran and one from a collector, from Minnesota, which I bought in the early 1980s.

I have no other information other than the eagle detail is finer than the standard size Blood Order. Both of those I have appear to be on used ribbons.

I know the next of kin families were given a bronze non-portable medal.

Bob Hritz

Comment

The bronze non portable for the next of kin of the fallen on 9 Nov 1923.

Bob Hritz
              Attached Files

Comment

Verso
                Attached Files

Comment

Bob, Did Steve Wolfe have ideas as to their origins? I'm sure he felt that they were period if he had a few. The non portables are sure nice works of art and Thanks for posting them.

Comment

Erich,

I was advised, by Stephen, that the price he was asking was about double that he was asking for 1st pattern Blood Orders. He felt they were completely period, and immensely rare, but had little information, at that time, about the history and purpose. Both of Stephen's had used and worn ribbons, so someone used them. He was shocked to discover that I had two of them. He knew of the other one, also, but it was in a collection that was sold and we now do not know it's location.

I do not know if Stephen Wolfe ever sold his 2 medals, or not.

Bob Hritz

Comment

I've seen 3 or 4 over the years, and have been unable to figure out what they are and why they were made. Conjecture was that they were for a funeral cushion, burial copy, next of kin remembrance, or ? but they don't come up in period documents.
                      Bob, nice table medal. There were a number of different designs commemorating the 9/11/23, but I've found nothing indicating that any were specifically for the next of kin or were anything other than a memento that could be purchased as a souvenir. Have you any information relating these or other similar non portable medals to the next of kin?
                      Erich
                      Festina lente!

Comment

Hello Erich,

The only other I have seen was engraved with the name MARTIN FAUST. I was told it was in Faust's family hands until sold to a dealer, who advertised in Germany. I wanted to buy it, but it was not for sale.

I am always looking for any pins, tables medals, books and programs relating to Nov 9 and also the annual celebrations.

Bob Hritz
                        Last edited by Bob Hritz; 06-26-2007, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks bob. From what i understand is that Steve is the man regarding Blood Orders and has quite a collection of them.

Comment

I have owned one of these as well, also the stick pin type (in storage now) and the one in question I paid about $50.00 about 4-5 years ago. I really checked mine out and tested it and it was just stamped out of a base medal, no silver at all and "IF" this was for or made during the war as a memento or passing of a person they really didn't give a crap about the person or the way it was made. the manufacture of them would never be something so poor for such a Historical moment in time, the medal ring is stamped with the same medal as the design and is even lacking in details, the outer edge is not flat and is at about a 10 degree slant, nothing like the full size one. (from what i remember)

I wouldn't give $50.00 for one today more less think or try to make this a war time issue item, I know some are going to get mad at me but "really look at the item" no photos in wear, no documentation, no designs of them in any period book or paper, no "Vet" stories, no articles on them, no veteran reunions of them in photos, no one stepping up as to say anything about these?

so don't try to put this in any form as to being some new/old find of the century. 3rd Reich not...

don't get to pissed at me, look at how this is made and history.

gregory koepp

Comment

I do tend to agree with the last posting. From the pictures on this thread I would have grave concerns if these were period. I certainly would not pay twice that of a first pattern !. Look at the casting,the suspension ring,the eagle[looks more like a drowned pigeon] the reverse is unfinished.
                              I would suggest that IF these were period that maybe they were purchasable at the FH at a Putsch anniversary one year maybe? Maybe purchase restricted to military personel with NSDAP membership?
                              But I certainly would not be comfortable paying more than $100 for one as a curio,unless solid information came to light about their meaning/ exsistance.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X