Tirpitz Tinnie ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

I don't venture into these waters very often as I don't activly collect WWII German anymore but I can say without a doubt that this "tinnie" is 100% right as rain. I have had the great fortune of being given two of these from a Royal Canadian Artillery veteran who took them home as souveniers from Holland (as well as a kit bag full of other stuff). He still remember the exact place that he picked up a tray full of tinnies from a home in Holland.

As to the markings I can't speak for those (incorrect or otherwise) but my eaxamples are identically marked.

I will post photos as time permits.

Thanks,
    Greg

Comment

Greg I beleive what you say. My dilemma is this....researched RZM list vs. looks good combined with vet's statements. I am curious what others have to say. It is a shame that someone like Herr Niemann who is member wouldn't care to opine on this. Thanks for your imput. Robert

Comment

The difficulty in saying that "mistakes were made" is that it forgives all kinds of abberations that fly in the face of logic. I have seen some RZM mistakes, but they account for a fraction of a fraction of a percent of RZM-marked badges. Of the tens of millions of RZM items produced, I can only think of fewer than 20 items that are wrongly or curiously marked - maybe only a dozen.

Most RZM deviations or wrongly marked items date from early 1935, when the RZM was getting started and regs were in transition. By 1939 it was a multi-level, tightly controlled bureaucracy with numerous internal checks (it was after all created to deal with quality control and pattern licensing), and severe penalties (stiff fines and up to 2 years jail) for breaches of the regs. And yes, there are records of people going to jail for RZM violations.

Having a badge commissioned by party officials I would have thought would be a sign that the proper procedures would be followed, or that a licensed tinnie maker with an M9 license would be contracted for the job. I suppose if they were in a hurry they might have commissioned a handy dagger maker and then it would have an M7 on the back. If any of that was the case, it would more likely just have a maker name or be unmarked. I doubt the launching of the Tirpitz was thrown together at the last minute as a potluck affair. ("Mein Fuhrer, would you mind bringing the potato salad?")

So I am a little strict about RZM marks that don't make sense when you understand the history and structure of the RZM establishment. Possible? Yes. Likely? Odds are far, far against it.
        Last edited by sjl; 03-06-2007, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Stephen, I have to agree with you. I have to take hard evidence. Greg I beleive that the Vet told you that too. Martin, thanks again for showing this piece. If anything it exposes our diferent collecting philosophies. Robert

Comment

i would like to see other examples on this particular piece before being conclusive one way or another....
            all i was trying to say is that mistakes were made...the germans for all their vaunted meticulous attention to detail were anything but....
            in the end it comes down to what a collector is comfortable with; my point still stands that there are no absolutes.
            when confronted by a piece that is out of the normal parameters it is nothing but astute to question it, but not necessary to throw it out with the proverbiel baby with the bath water....
            btw....as far as this particualr piece is concerned i feel it has a very good chance of being a good one...

Comment

Hi Guys,

My example. As I mentioned I was gifted two of these but I gave one to a young collector as a gift some time back. I will go to see him and photograph it as well. The man that gave these to me was an RCA vet that served in Italy and Holland and literally brought back a kit bag full of badges, tinnies, cloth, etc. He once showed me a photo of him back at home with all his "loot" although you couldn't see this particular piece. No one will change my mind that this piece isn't pre-'45.

Thanks,
              Greg
              Attached Files

Comment

The reverse.
                Attached Files

Comment

Gentlemen,thank you all for your comments,interesting piece.Not being a Tinnie collector it has been a good learning experience for me.
                  Greg ,thanks for posting the pictures of your badge.I think i,ll keep this one for a while.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X