MilitaryStockholm

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the real M1/17 please step forward....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the real M1/17 please step forward....

I was thinking of purchasing an example of a painted NSDAP badge and found an M1/17 listed for sale, but when I was checking other threads to compare the markings I found at least 6 different styles of markings and set-ups on the rear of these badges.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is correct and what is repro?

This first one has the mark low...
    Attached Files

This one has the mark high...
    Attached Files

Comment

This one has feet on the letter and numerals....
      Attached Files

Comment

This one has the centre crimping lugs very close together but has a good crisp clear strike...
        Attached Files

Comment

This one has very long crimping lugs that almost touch the RZM mark...
          Attached Files

Comment

And last but not least this one is the only one with a slash through the Z on the RZM mark...
            Attached Files

Comment

Now out of 6 M1/17 badges we have 6 different styles in markings, marking placement and crimping lugs. These are all the painted style of NSDAP badge yet why are they all different?

Comment

Now, that's a indeed a good question! In Tucker's book they show one who's exactly like your last picture. He also mentioned that the pin is magnetic. Why should they use so many dies? Zinc is a rather soft metal so it seems not nessecary to replace dies frequently.

Regards, Theo
                Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Theo,
                  In regards to the dies being replaced, etc. that was my thoughts exactly! I would imagine that there would only be one die style for the later painted badges from any one particular manufacturer.
                  Therefore, some of these badges pictured above must be post war......the question is which ones?

I'm hoping James (jnoble) will step in and share some info as he has stated that at least 2 of the above badges are original on the NSDAP badge thread, yet both were different? (badges in post 3 and 4 above)

Any info on these M1/17 badges would be appreciated!

Comment

After looking at both badges depicted in pics 3 and 4 they both look like they were made from the same die but 4 appears to be struck when the die was new and 3 was struck much later as it has lost it's crisp edges.

Comment

Hi James,
                      I really don't think that they are even from the same die as the markings are in different positions on the rear.
                      Also, the crimping lugs appear closer together on #4.

What are your thoughts on no slash in the Z on the RZM mark? Is this acceptable on these badges?

Cheers,
                      Brett

Comment

The lack of a cross slash on the Z in the RZM logo is generally no problem. There was an early belief that it being missing indicated a fake, but it is clear both versions were used in genuine badges. Similarly, single and double circles around the logo are also authentic.

Comment

since the m1/ 17 represents the very prolific maker Assmann...i dont think any of these is a problem....nothing glaringly cries out "fake" to me....from the pics above i wouldnt mind having any of these in the collection...
                          mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X