I have no idea what this is, HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea what this is, HELP!

It looks a bit like a Social Welfare award.

Picture 1 of 2
    Attached Files

Backside

Picture 2 of 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Gil, IMO it looks like a postwar fantasy piece.

Comment

One more time, thanks James.

What a nightmare you guys must have with all these bogus items.

Comment

I'm with James.

Front looks OK - Sort of gaudy and lacking in detail (especially the wreath), but there is actually some pretty schlocky stuff out there that is quite good (original) so that in itself doesn't rule out originality.

But the back of this piece tells the story. Never seen a pinback like that on a tinnie. And the finish is odd... there must be a high copper content in metal of that pin - look at that verdigris! That would be unusual in period piece in itself, I believe.
          -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Ralph, I had to look up 'verdigris'. I'm a retired laboratory technician and never heard of that word. Understand it now.

OK, let me see if I understand this;

1) It's most likely a post war fantasy piece.
            2) It's an original non-genuine item.
            3) Too high of a copper content, makes it not authentic.
            4) Back details are wrong.

It's an original non-genuine post-war high copper content fantasy piece with a bad back and nasty green color! LOL

Then do you suggest I try and skip across a lake?

Comment

Skip it if you want
              but better still. keep it so you have a reference for next time.
              mike

Comment

It is the application from a Volkspflege Award (similar to Red Cross), much more likely from a repro of this award that from an original. The pin (that caused the verdigris) was either attached lateron or the fakers decided to use this application part of the award also as a bogus pin badge.

Here is an example of a fake of an award of this series.

Cheers, Frank
                Attached Files
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

Brass ?

Gil-

Ralph made an excellent point about the high copper content - could be a brass alloy too.... I wouldn't skip it though, never know what you might find that you could do with it later..

Kevin

Comment

Mike & Kevin, I'm not a collector. I'm looking into boxes of stuff for my sister, who wants to sell them. So, I'm not a dealer either.

I think this one is a "skippy". What else can I do with it? I don't want it. Don't think my sister wants to keep it, she's only hoping to sell enough to take her family to Hawaii.

My problem right now is; I've got 2 'fake' Gold Party Badges, 1 obivous repro of a Silver Wound Badge, a replica 4 year SS Service Medal, 3 fake stick pins, a fake case, AND this thing. PLUS I've got more to ask about.

Question: Will I be able to lump all this together, say they are not-genuine and offer them on e-Stand? (naturally the case is going into the garbage)

Comment

Gil, I would say yes, absolutely. There are people out there who would buy good reproductions as fillers until they find an original, or because they cannot afford an original. Other people who might buy a repro are uniform collectors who would rather spend money on a genuine uniform than on a badge that goes on it. I dont know if anyone would take the whole lot though, those are diverse items, so you can consider listing them separately too.

Comment

Vadim,

I think I get it now. 'Fakes' are forbidden in e-Stand. But that is more like a repro or replica that someone is saying is real. In other words, it's more the act of trying to sell what is not authentic that is the problem.

As long as I make it clear that each piece is not genuine I'll won't be breaking the rules. Also, I can see that collectors or others would want these anyway. Now to figure out a price.

Comment

Yes, any "fakes" or "repros" can be freely listed on e-stand (and people have listed them) as long as they are clearly identified as such.
                          As for the prices, SS long service copy usually goes for $25-30, I am not sure about the rest.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X