• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the obverse...
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing these pictures. I hope that Raymond see them. hat:

Regards, Theo
      Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Hi DRZ

Thank you for posting your image of the SS-Zivilabzeichen.

I have seen this example before, albeit infrequently.

This is the one that I believe is not period, though still have no concrete proof that it is a reproduction and have not been able to trace which company manufactured them. I do not like collectors to jump in and denounce a piece without firm evidence as gut feelings can be misjudged sometimes.

There are a couple of patterns of the Hoffstatter pin with the sig runes varying. The other manufacturer of the pin (Gahr) is different again.

What the two variants of the original pin have in common is appearance of the MM and Ges Gesch mark.

Your piece has a raised MM and no Ges Gesch mark. The stamping has left a rectangular impression around the number which is not present on the usual variant that one sees and looks a clumsier in its application. It is clear that a different stamping tool was used on yours that is not used on any other of the period SS-ZA pins from Hoffstatter that I have seen.

The one you have shown also came in a black box lined with a blue velvet material. I have seen two examples in the 1600's range as well as one as high as 13000.

As I have mentioned earlier, don't discard it just yet as I have still not fully proven this and so the onus lies with me to find out more.

Hopefully, I will finish my article on the SS-Zivilabzeichen in 2007 which will hopefully shed more light on the subject and share my findings with other forum members.

All the best for 2007

Raymond

Comment

Hi,

So if Raymond can figure this out It is only safe to buy an SS-zivilabzeichen with the proper characteristics on the front, and impression number and Höfstatter mark?

The reason I ask is because I still have to buy one too... I hope to find one this year.

regards, Theo
          Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Hi Theo

The image of the SS-Zivilabzeichen I posted earlier in the thread is a good example of the front and back of one variant of the pin. If you ever need more images, then please feel free to contact me as I will always help.

I would suggest that you do not buy the Gahr version of the SS-ZA as I am looking for one

All the best of wishes and hope you find a good SS-ZA in 2007 for your collection

Raymond

Comment

The Gahr-version? I' m looking for the Höfstatter!! I already have a few Gahr's in my collection

When I come across one (a Höfstatter), I will ask you for advice. Many thanks
              Regards, Theo
              Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Hi guys-

Great thread! It’s nice to see these pins getting some attention.

I’d like to contribute some images of a new addition to my collection, what I believe to be an early pattern Hoffstätter SS-Zivilabzeichen (due to the stepped runes on the face of the enamel pin) complete with its original brass keeper. This example has a beautiful patina – it was definitely worn and judging from the amount of wear, worn often

Now, if only I could find the SS number and name for its original owner

Rob

Comment

Comment

Comment

Close-up of the obverse. Note the "fat" runes:

Comment

the SS-ZA number

Comment

Just bumping this up to see if anyone has something else to add...

Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X