tinnie? cross?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tinnie? cross?

I'm trying to identify a tinnie I saw at the dealers the other day.
    It was dark brown metal, it was crossed shaped, fairly large sized (2 inches?), long and VERY narrow arms, a small round center, I thought the city named was Trier but a search here came up blank (for "Trier"). I think it was dated 193x.
    Does that ring a bell at all?
    Thanks in anvance.
    Thanks,
    Eric Gaumann

Hi Eric, my search found this:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=trier

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Bingo! That's our boy.
      Thanks mate!

Now, about that "holy robe".....now that I see the picture it reminds me that I was wondering 'why is there a T-shirt on this tinnie???' as I was inspecting it.

It's not particularly rare, is it?
      Thanks,
      Eric Gaumann

Comment

Eric, One in the flesh. Although it is not particularly rare, IMO I would not consider it all that common. If you peruse the net and the e-stand you don't find all that many offered for sale. Their construction is on the fragile side. The fact that it lacks a swats also contributes to its' relatively low value to collectors. Just imagine if instead of a t-shirt there was a swats in the middle. Have a nice weekend. Robert
        Attached Files

Comment

The Reverse
          Attached Files

Comment

This is the original reason for the pin and why 1933 is considered a holy year
            The robe depicted on the tinnie is said to have been worn by Christ during his lifetime is preserved in a specially constructed chapel behind the main altar of the church. For a time the robe was displayed and pilgrimages took place every 7 years beginning in 1517. Those displays became the occasion of pilgrimages to the cathedral of Trier. Thereafter the displays became much more restricted. The largest number of visitors coming to see the robe was in 1933 when 2 million people came. In earlier days the robe was hung in the open for viewing. At the last exposition in 1996, it was displayed in a climate controlled glass case to help to prevent further deterioration. I would say by it's lack of any political symbolism that it was sold by the city to help pay for the cost of accommodating over 2 million visitors. The main reason for tinnies was to help raise money to finance either the party or the group putting on the festivities in this case the city of Trier.

Comment

James, Thanks for all of the information. Would you know if the Cathedral sustained any kind of Allied bombing damage? Robert

Comment

Robert,
                IM not sure about the Cathedral itself but the city in general took about 40 percent heavy bomb damage during the war.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X