• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 year NSDAP - comments please

I would like input on this award thank you. .. Dennis

Pic 1
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Denfor; 02-10-2006, 08:50 AM.

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Pic 4
        Attached Files

Comment

Pic 4
          Double post
          Last edited by Denfor; 02-10-2006, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Pic 5
            Attached Files

Comment

Does the ring have a manufacturer's mark?

Comment

These are very tough to tell for certain with only pictures. You need someone who knows what they are doing do a hands on inspection.

There are some very good fakes of these. Usually, you can tell by the enamel -- but that is the hardest part to judge with a pic.

Comment

The ring is maker marked '19'

Regards ............... Dennis

Comment

Can anyone tell me what firm the maker mark'19' is for? Also any estimates on market price for the 25 year award. Thanks for your input.
                    Regards Dennis

Comment

Yours looks fine from the pics. 19 is a standard maker. A cross such as yours if on the market would be in exsess of £2000.00. These are much rarer than KC. IF YOU APPLIED THE SAME PRICE STRUCKTURE THE 25 YEAR CROSS WOULD BE £12000.00.

Comment

This is truly an outstanding piece. And the comments by WARLORD are correct -"19" is the only accepted maker. Originals are extremely rare. I have only seen 4 or 5 in the last 30+ years of collecting. Unfortunately, they do not command the price that the rarity would seem to warrant. Great find... Tom

Comment

Originally posted by WARLORD
                          Yours looks fine from the pics. 19 is a standard maker. A cross such as yours if on the market would be in exsess of £2000.00. These are much rarer than KC. IF YOU APPLIED THE SAME PRICE STRUCKTURE THE 25 YEAR CROSS WOULD BE £12000.00.
                          Thanks for the clarification on authenticity. Too bad the price is not reflected in the rarity. Dennis

Comment

Thanks for nthe thumbs up Tom. I acquired this item about 19 years ago and haven't taken much notice as I was into edged weapons. Looks like I will have to sift through my 'accumulated' awards & badges and see what comes out of the wood work. Regards Dennis

Comment

This posting by Dennis has piqued my own curiousity and motivated me to get my own 25 Year NSDAP medal out of deep-storage for consideration and comment here on this Forum.

From what I understand, the cross is a fine quality, heavy piece of deluxe gold-plated silver, rather than bronze, with an original silk ribbon (this purportedly from the seller/dealer and apparent previous seller/dealer - both of whom shall remain anonymous, for the moment, at least).

There is no maker-mark on the ribbon ring. Were all originals maker-marked?

The suspension loop affixed to the top of the medal is the thinner vs. the thicker one.

Under black light, the white in the ribbon glows quite brightly. I now understand that black-light tests are only a guide and not always definitive. Is it possible that a genuine, period ribbon might display this property? If not, this could be a modern replacement ribbon.

As well, a few small, thin spots of dull-glow appear around the inside perimeter of the applied central wreath on both sides. I believe that such original, multi-piece medals were not assembled using glue. This glowing could, therefore, be a sign of glue - possibly on an original having been damaged and glued back together?

Finally, on the reverse, the central wording/motto appears to be slightly off-centre, tilting to the right.

Shortly after purchasing this medal, I noticed that the slight tilt appears to be identical to the piece pictured in Adrian Forman's "Guide to Third Reich German Awards". I contacted him on this point and he responded that, "The off-centre is no problem as regards originality."

Having been thus reassured and not owning or knowing about black light testing at that time, I put the medal away in safe storage and have seldom examined it since.

So, now is judgement day, fellow colleagues and collectors. Fire-away, please. I can take it, one way or the other.

Thanks and regards,
                              John

Medal obverse:
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by jwburchell; 02-16-2006, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X