1914 Tinnie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1914 Tinnie

Here is an unusual oddity of a Tinnie made for the 9th Annual Federal Festival of Singers in Munich. This is mm to W. Winkler of Furth
    Attached Files

And here is another early tinnie for the 25 year anniversary (1899 - 1924) of this Jungfest for future Butcher's in Augsburg.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by KC1 View Post
      Here is an unusual oddity of a Tinnie made for the 9th Annual Federal Festival of Singers in Munich. This is mm to W. Winkler of Furth
      Just for additional information: The "D.A.S.B. GAU BAYERN" refers to the Bavarian regional association of the Deutscher Arbeiter-Sängerbund. It was disbanded by the Nazis in 1933, but re-formed in 1947 as the Deutscher Allgemeiner Sängerbund (retaining its old initials). In 2005, it merged with the Deutscher Sängerbund (DSB) to form the Deutscher Chorverband.

Originally posted by KC1 View Post
      And here is another early tinnie for the 25 year anniversary (1899 - 1924) of this Jungfest for future Butcher's in Augsburg.
      A nice item, but allow me a little correction:

It doesn't say "Jungfest" (that word doesn't make sense in German anyway) and has nothing to do with young/future butchers in particular, but is for an event of the local butchers' guild in general. It says:
      "25 j. [= jähriges] STIFTUNGSFEST" [25th founding anniversary celebration]
      "FAHNENWEIHE" [flag consecration]
      "FR. [= freie] METZGERINNUNG AUGSBURG"

(The words "Stiftungsfest" and "Fahnenweihe" are "split" by Augsburg's coat-of-arms with the Zirbelnuß [cembra nut].)

A freie Innung [roughly "free guild"] is a professional association of craftsmen in which membership is voluntary. The freien Innungen took the place of the former Gewerbevereine [roughly "trade associations"], which were disbanded by Bavarian law in 1868.
      Last edited by HPL2008; 03-06-2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Hugh -

Thank you very much for providing the correct narrative of this tinnie. I was struggling with the translation of this tinnie from the get-go so your response is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Well, that was quite a fortunate coincidence: I visited the Bavarian History Museum in Regensburg today, and lo and behold: Among the exhibits there was a commemorative beer stein for the same 1914 singers' festival.

Note that the decorative elements of the two shields (with Munich's coat-of-arms and a lyre) and the Frauenkirche church seen on the tinnie are also used on the stein:
          Attached Files

Comment

Andreas -

Now that is very cool. I would think that the tinnie would situate well with the Beer Stein in this display. Also, I would assume that the tinnie would be in more ample supply, ie. easier to find, than the Beer Stein.

Nonetheless, it is cool to see that you were able to see this Stein in same time period as seeing the tinnie.

Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X