1931 Braunschweig Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1931 Braunschweig Badge

Here's an odd one. Nice crisply stamped badge, great details, but wrong materials. Stamped bronze, cupped leaves, but no trace of silver. If anything, it almost looks like there might have been a gilt wash still seen in the recesses of the back, but no trace on the front. Flat pin on back. I'm very suspicious, but I've never seen another like it. Thoughts?
    Attached Files

The reverse looks like a casting although possibly due to the field of focus? And I'm not a fan of the fat pin or hinge. Is there any evidence of an older pin having been removed? I'm interested to hear comments on this badge.
    Erich
    Festina lente!

Comment

Definitely not a casting. It is die struck from a thin but sturdy sheet metal. Reverse is a little softer, but edges are sharp. No bubbles, wrinkles or casting flaws. The barrel hinge and hook appear original. No markings.
      Last edited by sjl; 02-05-2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

A couple other views. I can't tell if the green crud is old polish or verdigris.
        Attached Files

Comment

I like this piece very much! I wonder whether it might clean up a bit with some soap and water, or whether it's oxidized? The barrel hinge and military pin speak to me of a formal award piece, issued after the Braunschweig S-A Treffen was created an Honor Badge of the NSDAP, especially if it was originally gilded or polished brass.

The SA Rally at Brunswick in October of 1931 was an event with a complex background, coming on the heels of the two so-called "Stennes Revolts" of August 1930 and March/April 1931. I would not be surprised if there was a special edition of the S-A Treffen badge created as a high-level presentation piece to be awarded by Hitler to publicly thank certain SA leadership members for their support for him during this crisis.

Br. James

Comment

The extra photos help--the details are very sharp on the obverse with no evidence of casting; the reverse is soft but again, from the photos it doesn't appear to be cast.
            That said, I've never seen one with this style of pin and hinge. I would be interested to have some additional feedback from the members here.
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

I agree that this would have been stamped - the details seem to conform to accepted pieces, although the pin set up concerns me. The pin set up does seem to have been assembled together with the badge in the original manufacturing stage.

Mil

Comment

Looks like "Brasso" on the back (metal cleaner residue), an old trick to try to give a semblance of age to repro English cap badges, anyway, not one I would buy.
                Pete

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X