Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NS-group-picture

Hi guys!

I believe this is an Austrian picture taken after the "Anschluß" in 1938 although the papers in the background show many "Munich"-articles. What's Your opinion?

Best, Peter
    Attached Files

Detail.
    Attached Files

Comment

great photo Peter!

...as to the timeframe, hard to tell. The newspaper posted at the 11'oclock position (top left) on their board, shows a political leader on the front page ... we should be able to tell the year by the uniform of the leader (göring, himmler, etc) as they were constantly changing the style of insignia on their uniforms, during the 1930s.

my guess is around 1934-1935

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Clark View Post
        great photo Peter!

...as to the timeframe, hard to tell. The newspaper posted at the 11'oclock position (top left) on their board, shows a political leader on the front page ... we should be able to tell the year by the uniform of the leader (göring, himmler, etc) as they were constantly changing the style of insignia on their uniforms, during the 1930s.

my guess is around 1934-1935

Hard to tell with certainty at this resolution, but the photograph appears to show a man in uniform on the left and a member of the Pope's Swiss Guard on the right. The man between them appears to be a clergyman.

The paper is definitely the Berliner Illustrierte Zeitung, which ran from 1892 to 1945. Perhaps somebody can identify the issue, then we would know the exact year the photo was taken.

(But the headlines "Die Deutsche Einigung ist nun vollzogen" ["German unification has now been accomplished"] and "Die Deutschen kommen!" ["The Germans are coming!"] visible in the background sure would fit the Anschluss well.)
        Last edited by HPL2008; 01-19-2020, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X