Rudolf Hess and Carl Eduard of Saxe-Coburg Desk Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rudolf Hess and Carl Eduard of Saxe-Coburg Desk Set

Hi everyone, the desk set pictured below was recently offered for sale. Iwas wondering if it looks legit?

It had the following desription below. Thanks for any thoughts!

Crystal desk set formerly the property of Deputy Fuhrer Rudolf Hess. Several of the clear rock crystal desk pieces have silver framing. Included are: (1) Rock crystal desk tray - 10 7/8" x 3 3/4" x 1 1/4" (2) Letter holder. 3 3/8" high front has a rounded silver frame with engraved initials "RH". Reverse stamped with "800", a crescent, crown and "HB". Back wall 4 5/8" tall with the same hallmarks. 4 1/4" wide. (3) Candlestick. 3 1/2" high column with a 1" high silver top bearing the engraved initials "RH". Reverse marked with a crescent, crown, "800" and "RH". Overall, 4 1/2" tall. (4) "Rocker" type hand blotter. Tapered rock crystal handle with silver end sections engraved with "RH", dedication "Coburg 10.7.1921" and hallmarked with a crown, crescent and "800H". The silver crescent-shaped blotter holder is hallmarked with a crescent, crown and "800HB". Overall 9" x 2 3/4" x 3". (5) Square clear rock crystal ink well. 2" x 2" x 1 5/8". Round collar top with a hinged silvered (worn) lid. Engraved "RH". Overall 2" tall. (6) Dished 9 5/8" x 18 1/8" wood desk tray with a 1 1/2" wide silver end plate on each side. One side has an applied silver finely detailed early political type eagle/swastika/oakleaf wreath and engraved "RH". The other, has a presentation "DEM KAMERADEN RUDOLF HESS - COBURG, DEN 19 JULI 1929" and the signature "KARL EDUARD". (7) With engraved brass display plate. (The city of Coburg had special importance for "old" N.S.D.A.P. members as in 1922 it became the first city in which the Nazis successfully challenged and "broke" the power of the Communist Party. It is no wonder that the hereditary ruler of Saxe-Coburg. Karl Eduard, would have honored Hitler's private secretary at that time - Rudolf Hess, with an appropriate gift during his 1929 Coburg Day visit. It is quite possible that the entire desk set was presented to Hess during his 1929 visit, and the "1921" date added to the hand blotter to commemorate Hess's first Coburg visit
    Attached Files

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comment

I notice the words “..quite possible..” in the last sentence. Besides the supposition of the events of the presentation of this set, I would like to see some provenance and evidence establishing the claimed historical facts stated.

Comment

It is an interesting piece, but pieces such as this are usually one-off and provenance needs to be water-tight.

Mil

Comment

as a sidebar ` I never could quite understand collectors, on the one hand saying something like "buy the item, not the story" and in the next breath talking about airtight "provenance" on another item.

Comment

The lettering of the font (although the size is different) is exactly the same on the (supposed) period inscription as the post war (english) name plate describing the set ... the verdigris (the darkening) inside the lettering is the same tone for both the "original" desk set, as well as the post war english description plate ... I would pass on that alone. imo.

Comment

Thanks all for thoughts and appreciated!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
                as a sidebar ` I never could quite understand collectors, on the one hand saying something like "buy the item, not the story" and in the next breath talking about airtight "provenance" on another item.

Rick, I don't consider provenance and "the story" to be quite the same. And to me, provenance comes into play with an item of some historical relevance and value: a presentation sidearm, a special gorget or some item of proposed personalty such as this desk set. Provenance in that case is establishing an historical record of the piece with some chain of ownership. A story is "my grandfather took it from a dead SS officer in Germany." or something to that effect.

Just my opinion. Yet in those circumstances, I would never consider one without the other.

PS. The signature of Carl Eduard can be found in one of the two Hamilton volumes on autographs of the Third Reich, so it wouldn't be hard to duplicate.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X