NSDAP Political Leader Candidate Armbands Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kyles bullets View Post
    My question as well. Especially when there are tagged examples that surface as well, with IMO period tags. Example recently posted:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=armband

Interesting discussion!
    --------------------------

I still am somewhat amazed that I had to post a question regarding these two armbands 30 years subsequent to LTC Angolia's publication "Cloth Insignia of the NSDAP and SA", 1985 where on page 64 the pictures of the POLITISCHER LEITER ANWARTER & SONDERBEAUFTRAGTER armbands incorrectly are associated with the accompanying text descriptions which are correct for their appropriate associated picture.

In defense of why the German militaria collectors world wide were not aware of the book's page 64 printing errors, in 1985 internet technology was relatively primitive and not enhanced to the degree it is today. It was not until 1995 that MS Windows software offered expanded/enhanced internet capabilities available for personal use computers.

For discussion purposes let's ignore the 25 years from 1985-2010. That brings us to year 2010 as a realistic beginning baseline Internet technology advances by then allowed the growth of internet user forums for world wide militaria collectors to exchange info, post related subects of interest, etc.

I never was successful in locating a thread regarding this subject of these perpetuating incorrect book ids of the SONDERBEAUFTRAGTER (Specially Employed Personnel) Ortsgruppe armband as a Politischer Leiter Anwarter (Political Leader Candidate). My experiences with other German militaria collectors and dealers mostly had little or no interest in researching the subject. The dealer selling the SONDERBEAUFTRATGER armband put the onus as to the correct id on the seller who obviously believed the incorrect id because that was the id provided him when he originally acquired it. So the incorrect ids get perpetuated indefinitely. Often the incorrect picture labeling to text on page 64 results in the SONDERBEAUFTRATER armband being ided incorrectly as "Political Leader Candidate" because that's what the reader saw in the book. The book's two pictures/texts incorrect relationship errors have caused confusion since 1985 and continue to cause confusion to the uninformed. Whenever I do see these errors in the marketplace and can contact the owner (usually a dealer), I try to contact him and provide the correct id info which he appreciates.

On page 64, the SONDERBEAUFTRATGER armband text description is correct stating that this armband only is authorized for wear at the KREIS, GAU, REICH organization levels, but not at the Ortsgruppe level.

WAF member HPL2008 in post #2 confirmed that the NSDAP Organization Book 1943 screen capture extract he posted confirmed for sure as of 1943 the SONDERBEAUFTRAGER armband was not authorized for wear except for the previously listed organizational levels.

I now offer my non-professional analysis as to how the Ortsgruppe level armband exists today but never should have existed. I believe in 1939-1940 during the initial large orders for the Gau, Kreis, & Reich levels for SONDERBEAUFTRAGER armbands, a similar legitimate order for the Ortsgruppe level was made during the same period as for the other organizational levels, hence the accompanying RZM paper tags. However, whomever the NSDAP Reich leader for party user uniform control, approval, disapproval, design, insignia, etc. I believe that person was Dr. Ley, who quickly cancelled any new and/or existing Ortsgruppe level armband procurement orders; reversed his initial approval for party uniform wear for the Ortsgruppe level for some unknown reason, and prohibited its' wear at the Ortsgruppe level. Meanwhile thousands of the Ortsgruppe level SONDERBEAUFTRAGTER armbands previously ordered and had been received with probably a few being worn briefly before the uniform regulation change prohibited wearing at the Ortsgruppe level. I believe the uniform change prohibition was issued in early 1940.

The reason why SONDENBEAUFTRAGTER armbands are in mint condition is because they were never issued or destroyed but stored and the GIs found them in 1944-45 and sent/brought many back to the US.

That then begs the question "Does a documented uniform regulation exist circa 1939-1940 documenting prohibiting the wear of the SONDENBEAUFTRAGTER armband at the Ortsgruppe level? Perhaps one of the lucky few members who have access to documents can research the subject and provide some insight either way.

John

Comment

nice

W4uvv.
      Dam I am impressed …..
      That would explain lot .
      Regards Pete

Comment

Originally posted by ironfist View Post
        W4uvv.
        Dam I am impressed …..
        That would explain lot .
        Regards Pete
        ---------------
        WOW! What a nice surprise for me! Thank you very much for your nice reply post. I am glad what I posted was helpful in trying to understand what happened and why it will continue to happen sourced to a error of two pictures on page 64 not correctly matched to each's appropriate text description on a gallery proof that was not caught 30 years ago before going to the printer.

In my opinion, I'm sure the page 64 mistake was noticed very quickly after the initial book's first printed copy was sight checked. However, a reprinting of the entire book for a one half page printing error was not financially cost effective for a total reprint. So it has perpetuated for the past 30 years and will continue to cause confusion for WW2 NSDAP armband collectors. But now the answer to the page 64 picture's to text relationship problems easily are noted and corrected.

Excluding that issue, it should be noted to all NSDAP/SA collectors that the book still remains the source "Bible" publication for NSDAP/SA artifacts, descriptions, history and related subject matter areas. It is a "must have" publication for any serious NSDAP/SA collector. All NSDAP/SA armband collectors should be very thankful and appreciative of LTC Angolia's various efforts of research to document that period in WW2 German uniforms/items history.

Regards,

John

Comment

I’ve noticed that all Orts-level NSDAP Sonderbeauftragter armbands produced by only one maker 343, it is very possible that this maker simply made them by mistake and this is the reason for these armbands being unissued.

Comment

Thanks for this interesting observation, it supports those armbands being the result of an error!

Comment

Useful clarification of the confusion surrounding these two armbands!
              I've often wondered about them - 'are the same or what??'
              Nice work!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X