NSDAP Political Leader Candidate Armbands Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NSDAP Political Leader Candidate Armbands Confusion

A few years I decided to focus my WW2 German collecting efforts on NSDAP rank armbands. I continue to have some successes in my efforts. I am "big" on documentation which, in my opinion, is sparse on these two specific Political Leader Candidate armband versions.

Why is this even an issue now in 2019? It seems a relatively simple issue and should have been resolved and documented 40+ years ago!

The two hardcopy "Bible" references, both of which I have are: LTC (Ret) Angolia's (now deceased) "Cloth Insignia of the NSDAP and SA", 1985 First Edition, pages 63-71 and Mr. Jeff Clark's "Uniforms of the NSDAP", 2007, organizational selected pictorial references pages 170-194. Both are most excellent references.

However, there always has to be a "but" it seems. The subject armbands in this discussion are which I refer are the two differing "Politischer Leiter Anwarter" (Political Leader Candidate)(PLC) design armbands.

The first example, which was required for all organizational levels differing only in the piping color for each level, was WITHOUT the gold cord outline around the roundel and swastika. I named this first example the "BASIC" design.

The second example, which was required for all organizational levels differing only in the piping color for each level, was WITH the gold cord outline around the roundel and swastika. I named this second ex-ample the "REVISED design.

Both armband's designs are valid.

Now the first "but". LTC Angolia's (now deceased) book displays a color Ortsgruppe Political Candidate Leader armband (page 63) as the (REVISED)(my name id). Unfortunately, he did include a picture or text annotation or footnote of the (BASIC)(my name id) which also is a valid armband.

Now the second "but". Mr. Jeff Clark's book displays two color pictures of a Political Candidate Leader armband. The first color picture on page 172 is Ortsgruppe Poliitical Leader Candidate BASIC(my name id) and on page 189 is REICH Political Candidate Leader BASIC(my nameid). Unfortunately he also did no include a picture example or text annotation or footnote of the (REVISED)(my name id) which also is a valid armband.

Making matters worse within the recent past, I have noticed when browsing selected dealer websites, that on three sites the (REVISED)(my name id) PLC armband either eas being offered for sale or auction as the "Mitarbeiter(Collabrator)" rank which obviously was wrong. One of the dealers also was advertising a legitimate "Mitarbeiter" armband as a "Leiter Einer Hilfstelle" rank. I emailed each dealer informing them of his mistake. One dealer pulled his ad and surprise, surprise the two other dealers never replied.

My argument for the (REVISED)(my name id) is soon after the BASIC(my name id) was approved and distributed in 1939, for whatever reason(s), probably after a year of complaints from the PLC group of being made to feel inferior in THE ruling political organization of the REICH.

Subsequently, the leadership, most likely Dr. Ley, decided the (REVISED)(my name id) design was a more appropriate and consistent design for their political organization rank and the (BASIC)(my name id) design was no longer to be issued. Somewhere in the German Uniform Regulations files there should be documentation as to the date when the (BASIC)(my name id) armband was discontinued and the (REVISED)(my name id) armband date was effective.

In summary, can anyone provide a reliable source which discussed and documented specifically the history of these two valid armbands and not result in begging more questions? Thanks.

w4uvv
    John

Actually, they are not two different armbands for political leader candidates, but for two different duty positions:

The armband with just the piping for the organizational level was for Politische-Leiter-Anwärter (all levels).

The one with piping for the organizational level and gold piping around the roundel and the swastika was for Sonderbeauftragte (Kreis-, Gau- and Reich level only).

(Angolia also correctly describes them thus in the text on page 63, although the photos contradict the text. It could be that the two pictures were simply swapped in an editorial mistake: The alleged Sonderbeauftragter armband in the black-and-white photograph appears to not have the piping around the roundel and swastika, but it's a bit hard to tell due to the small size and picture quality.)

As for documentation: This information is included in the period color tables from the Organisationsbuch der NSDAP as reproduced on pages 171, 177, 182 and 188 in Jeff Clark's book.

Here's a description from the 1943 Organisationsbuch der NSDAP as well:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HPL2008; 04-27-2019, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HPL2008 View Post
      Actually, they are not two different armbands for political leader candidates, but for two different duty positions:
      The armband with just the piping for the organizational level was for Politische-Leiter-Anwärter (all levels).
      The one with piping for the organizational level and gold piping around the roundel and the swastika was for Sonderbeauftragte (Kreis-, Gau- and Reich level only). [/I]
      This is correct and Andreas knows what he is talking about. Plate 19 from the 1943 Organisationsbuch gives the description where it is said white disc and swastika mit golden piping.
      With Ortsgruppe level the Sonderbeauftragte is not mentioned, but with Kreisleitung, Gauleitung and Reichsleitung it is.

Comment

Sonderbeauftragter armband id

Originally posted by HPL2008 View Post

The one with piping for the organizational level and gold piping around the roundel and the swastika was for Sonderbeauftragte (Kreis-, Gau- and Reich level only).

(Angolia also correctly describes them thus in the text on page 63, although the photos contradict the text. It could be that the two pictures were simply swapped in an editorial mistake: The alleged Sonderbeauftragter armband in the black-and-white photograph appears to not have the piping around the roundel and swastika, but it's a bit hard to tell due to the small size and picture quality.)

As for documentation: This information is included in the period color tables from the Organisationsbuch der NSDAP as reproduced on pages 171, 177, 182 and 188 in Jeff Clark's book.

Here's a description from the 1943 Organisationsbuch der NSDAP as well:
        ------------------
        Tnx for taking time to your reply which explained and confirmed the correct id. Previously on page 64, regarding the Sonderbeauftragter picture/description I spent significant amounts of time attempting to id/reconcile/confirm. I scoured the internet for actual pictures of this armband for comparison. Not one picture displayed a id tag for this rank level armband.

Thanks for helping id, clarify and confirm what I had suspected but like you, to me the B/W pic appeared to be no gold cord embroidery and was confusing. I was not comfortable with my conclusion. Now I can move on and have confidence in the correct id for this armband.

Regards,

w4uvv
        John

Comment

Sonderbeauftragter armband id

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
          This is correct and Andreas knows what he is talking about. Plate 19 from the 1943 Organisationsbuch gives the description where it is said white disc and swastika mit golden piping.
          With Ortsgruppe level the Sonderbeauftragte is not mentioned, but with Kreisleitung, Gauleitung and Reichsleitung it is.
          ---------------
          Thanks for your comments and time to respond. As I stated I spent much time attempting to correctly id this armband but the B/W picture appeared not to be of a gold cord embroidered roundel and swastika. I knew there were some very subject matter knowledgeable collectors here who did know the correct id.

Regards,

w4uvv
          john

Comment

Since when is Angolia deceased? A friend of mine spoke with him about a week ago!

Comment

Well now, that's good to know

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
              Since when is Angolia deceased? A friend of mine spoke with him about a week ago!

Tnx for the update. He was deceased on the third Saturday in August, 2011 at the Richmond, VA, gun show I attended when a reputable militaria dealer, obviously misinformed, mentioned it in conversation discussing Mr. Angolia's NSDAP book specifically about armbands.

Too bad Mr. Angolia's book's press plates were not saved so subsequent edition reprints with possible updates could have been made if necessary/desired. Recently either on Amazon or EBAY I saw his book price currently was $225 sale price. The previously outrageous price was $150. But if you need it or want it, that's supply and demand at work. That obviously proves there is a consistent demand for his book. I lucked out about 5 years ago and bought in at $130. Actually, I did very good. As a companion book "twofer" offer, I also received the "The SA", Jill Halcomb book in very good condition. So I did ok.

Is Mr. Angolia also a poster to this or any other subject related internet forum? If not perhaps his long absences may have lent credence to the belief he was no longer with us.

Either way I'm sure Mr. Angolia is very pleased to know he still with us on the right side of the grass. I definitely will pass the word as appropriate to those who have had the belief he had been gone for some years.

w4uvv
              John

Comment

Maybe the guy was another person with the same name. This is what my friend Mr. Bender from Bender Publishing said too me last night:
                As for Angolia, I talked to him last week and he is alive and kicking.

Comment

Hello,
                  I also can ensure everybody, that my friend Jack Angolia is still alive and hopefully stays that way for many years.
                  Attached a picture of a sealed Anwärter-Armband for the Block (blue piped Ortsgruppe level).
                  Best regards, Thomas
                  Attached Files

Comment

According to all the information and period documents provided here it turns out that all the armbands of the Orts level with golden-yellow piping around white field/swastika (pictured below) are wrong and did not exist, but they are in many collections and for sale worldwide by reputable dealers as an authentic RZM tagged bands, or may be they are period made against rules?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rrvroman View Post
                      According to all the information and period documents provided here it turns out that all the armbands of the Orts level with golden-yellow piping around white field/swastika (pictured below) are wrong and did not exist, but they are in many collections and for sale worldwide by reputable dealers as an authentic RZM tagged bands, or may be they are period made against rules?
                      My question as well. Especially when there are tagged examples that surface as well, with IMO period tags. Example recently posted:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=armband

Interesting discussion!

Comment

Another tagged example from the same maker as the one in the referenced thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=armband

Attached Files
                        RonR

Comment

mine

another has tag but picture blured
                          Attached Files

Comment

oops

oops don't post things when you have just got up

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X