x2 Enamel Signs for Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

x2 Enamel Signs for Review

Any input is appreciated. They are both small, maybe a few inches across.
    Attached Files

I like the Frei-Durch one, looks good to me, cant comment on the first one though.

Comment

Hello,
      I have one like the first plaque you show & I believe yours is a good piece. I don't have the book handy right now but in Wilhelm Saris's book, "Wall Plaques and Official Office Signboards of Hitler's Third Reich" he shows a plaque like this and yours corresponds to the one described in his book if memory serves me correct. I also think these came in two sizes. The plaque I have is roughly 1 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches which is the smaller plaque I believe. The other plaque I don't know about.
      Duzig(Bill)

Comment

MIT UNS
        “With Us” is a good original C Robert Dold from Offenberg
        The round one is a reproduction
        Matt

Comment

Originally posted by STLMatt View Post
          MIT UNS
          “With Us” is a good original C Robert Dold from Offenberg
          The round one is a reproduction
          Matt
          What is your evidence the Frei Durch is a reproductiton?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Symonds View Post
            What is your evidence the Frei Durch is a reproductiton?
            The Wilhelm Saris Book
            Wall plaques and Official signboards of Hitlers third Reich
            It’s well worth the money
            Matt

Comment

Originally posted by STLMatt View Post
              The Wilhelm Saris Book
              Wall plaques and Official signboards of Hitlers third Reich
              It’s well worth the money
              Matt
              Great, is there a picture in the book you can post of an original?

Comment

Mit Uns conforms to known, genuine examples...

Frei Durch does not conform...

Comment

Hello
                  I found my copy of Mr. Saris's book. Here is a picture of a plaque like the first one shown. Again, no expert here, even having Mr. Saris's book. I have not handled any of these items in person. Maybe I missed it but the Frei Durch plaque shown looks pretty close to the one in Mr. Saris's book although the attachment holes are not in the same place. It does look very new looking though so I would also like to hear others who know more about these items. Hopefully the picture will be large and clear enough. I have attached a pic of the Mit Uns Plaque as shown in Saris's book also
                  Duzig(Bill)
                  Attached Files

Comment

I won’t post pics from research material
                    Books are too expensive
                    And shame on anyone who does
                    However the back on the MIT UNS plaque is what you want to see looking at the reverse side
                    The “Frei Dutch” is a reproduction
                    The back is wrong
                    The mounting holes are wrong
                    And it looks brand new, because it is.
                    These have been around a few years
                    Just remember
                    If it doesn’t look 70 years old
                    It’s probay not

Comment

Hello,
                      Always glad to hear from other more knowledgeable collectors so thanks for your reply & I hope my pictures were of use to some.
                      Duzig(Bill)

Comment

Originally posted by Duzig View Post
                        Hello
                        I found my copy of Mr. Saris's book. Here is a picture of a plaque like the first one shown. Again, no expert here, even having Mr. Saris's book. I have not handled any of these items in person. Maybe I missed it but the Frei Durch plaque shown looks pretty close to the one in Mr. Saris's book although the attachment holes are not in the same place. It does look very new looking though so I would also like to hear others who know more about these items. Hopefully the picture will be large and clear enough. I have attached a pic of the Mit Uns Plaque as shown in Saris's book also
                        Duzig(Bill)
                        What is ignored is the fact that contrary to some opinion, the Frei Durch that is posted does not look like it was made yesterday. Clears signs both on the reverse and obverse shows distress from use.

What is also ignored is the fact that there could easily have been more than one maker of these plaques. Nobody has claimed that the plaque illustrated in the book is marked as "Ges Gesch." This would account for the change in the mounting holes. Somthing like this with such a generic slogan could not be design patented.

I bought an example a number of years ago, and I can attest that it is magnetic and die struck. There is even an enamel coating on the reverse. It too measures 90mm, the same size as the one in the book. The quality is excellent. If these are repros, where are the others, these should be available at all major shows on demand? The fact that most collectors have not handled them, speaks for itself.

I would hope that Mr. Saris could add his opinion on the topic.
                        Last edited by Gary Symonds; 04-17-2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Hello,
                          As mentioned I have not handled any of these items and am wary of most of these enamel plaques, even having Mr. Saris's book, I would want other opinions than my own. The plaque, to me, does look much like the one shown in Saris's book & as you say it would be nice if Mr. Saris or others share their opinion. It seems these plaques are all over the place, hence, my hesitation to acquire one.
                          In any case always glad to hear others
                          Duzig(Bill)

Comment

Originally posted by Duzig View Post
                            Hello,
                            As mentioned I have not handled any of these items and am wary of most of these enamel plaques, even having Mr. Saris's book, I would want other opinions than my own. The plaque, to me, does look much like the one shown in Saris's book & as you say it would be nice if Mr. Saris or others share their opinion. It seems these plaques are all over the place, hence, my hesitation to acquire one.
                            In any case always glad to hear others
                            Duzig(Bill)
                            Duzig, if indeed these plaques “are all over the place,” how come is it, by your own admission that you have never “handled” one?
                            Last edited by Gary Symonds; 04-17-2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I see enamel plaques all over the internet. Why haven't I handled them? They are not something I particularly collect and the prices to me, are more than I care to pay... I hope that satisfies your curiousity.
                              Duzig

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X