X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cool snapshoot

Attached Files

Great picture & Gorget !

I'm still missing the gorget unfortunatly but maybe one day...I noticed yours has a solid bronze colour star/centrepiece instead of a bronze star with a silver centrepiece as more often seen. I have the same bronze device (with 2 screws) that came from a local vet. I always figured it was an unfinished one he picked up but seeing yours with the same star as mine makes me think its OK. Who used the 2 different versions ?

Thanks

JC

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
      ... Who used the 2 different versions ? ...
      Good question!

Could it be related to the SA groups and the button color? Either silver or gold for distinguishing between the various groups.

Maybe someone else can clarify this?
      Attached Files

Comment

Interesting - Didn't realise that there were two "possible" variants for the SA gorget. Hard to pick up from the photos since they were black and white, but it could be in the regulations? Maybe Saris might know?

Mil

Comment

I've noticed these two versions of this design of the SA Gorget over the years -- both with the pinwheel swastika -- and I assumed that these related in some way to the SA Belt Buckle, which also featured both a silver and a bronze center. Ivbaust likens this difference to the SA Kepi button, which also makes sense to me.

Any further information out there?

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by ivbaust View Post
            Good question!

Could it be related to the SA groups and the button color? Either silver or gold for distinguishing between the various groups.

Maybe someone else can clarify this?
            Wow! The 2 variants ??? and both look impeccable: how lucky can you get . Like Wil Smith said in the movie "Independance Day": "l gotta get me one of these!" Beautiful pieces

You may be right ivbaust & James. I was thinking the central device colour was dictated by the type of organization (eg. SA/SS/NSKK or early NSDAP) but, as you say some SA groups wore silvers & others gold insignia so that may explain it

Thanks for the picts

JC

Comment

Great photo and display, that guy looks hard as nails!

Comment

Close-up of the gorget. It seems to have a rotated swaz, not a sunwheel! So more variants did exist!
                Attached Files

Comment

That is one sharp photograph--you can even see the arm of the SA man taking the photo reflected in the gorget!
                  I haven't found anything in the SAVBs that addresses the color of the center disc. Re the buckles and gorget centers, I always assumed that some have had the center silvering rubbed off when the wearers polished them. Wim may have covered this in his massive Gorget book, but I won't have time to check it for a few days.
                  Erich
                  Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by ivbaust View Post
                    Close-up of the gorget. It seems to have a rotated swaz, not a sunwheel! So more variants did exist!
                    Interesting... You see the 2 different swaz styles on belt buckles as well. No expert but if I had to take a guess I would say the sunwheel style is earlier than the rotated version. The fact the fellow is wearing the later/last style cap eagle in your picture could be related. Locating a similar pict with the sunwheel swaz used in conjunction with the early cap eagle (or one of the earlier, shorter eagles variations) may support that

Regards

JC

Comment

Thanks, guys

Here are a few more photos from this guy. He participated with his SA platoon in September 1937 the party rally in Nuremburg. The photos are dated on the back with comments. I hope you enjoy these photos. My apologies for the marking of the pics, but I have made a bad experience in the past. Someone copied my non-marked photos and sold them as „originals“ on eBay. That won’t happen to me again
                      Attached Files

Comment

He and other flag carriers with „their“ SA flags
                        Attached Files

Comment

Recently "re-located" my shield in a box with a pile of insignia I had lost/misplaced years ago so I just took a few pictures. Like Erich I thought the silver could be worn from the front centrepiece or it was an unfinished piece but not the slightest trace of silver to be seen. Furthermore while the front on mine looks like toned natural brass or bronze colour it must be age/wear because the back is definitly gilded

In that box I also found a brass SA (?) buckle with the same central device but with a square (lying flat) swaz; not the sunwheel or rotated type. There could possibly be a gorget with that variation centrepiece on it as well out there

Regards

JC
                          Attached Files

Comment

And the chief of staff himself was also present. Interesting to see the small, early eagle version on his kepi.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Another great shot of the guy in front of the tent. Note the multiple corner patch SA flag. He was from Sturm 22 of SA Standarte 247. Does anybody know where 247 was located?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X