Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoon Ribbentrop or Old Reichs chancellery

hi,

just picked up this teaspoon in 925 silver.

looking through some old threads it would appear to be attributed to either von Ribbentrop or the old Reichs chancellery.

is anyone familiar with this pattern?

cheers, del.
    Attached Files

Hi del,

In his massive 2013 reference work, "The Encyclopedia of Third Reich Tableware," author and researcher James A. Yannes shows an example on pgs 110-111 of a tablespoon of the same pattern you show us, also in .925 solid silver. Yannes attributes this pattern to Reich Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop and describes it as "a special setting for the highest Foreign Ministry / Diplomatic dinners and functions," presumably as used at Ribbentrop's Berlin offices. The manufacturer of this fine tableware pattern was the Berlin silversmith firm of Gebrüder Sauerland -- the Sauerland Brothers.

Congrats on a fine addition to your collection.

Br. James

Comment

I've also seen this pattern described as being from the Old Chancellory as well. I don't have the Yannes book but I understand it lacks sources and/or documentation notes necessary to prove the identity of non-obvious patterns such as this one. Is that correct?
      Erich
      Festina lente!

Comment

"...I understand ["The Encyclopedia of Third Reich Tableware"] lacks sources and/or documentation notes necessary to prove the identity of non-obvious patterns such as this one. Is that correct?"

Yes, Erich, Jim Yannes' several books do not always include details of where he found a particular piece or why he states the origin of a certain piece as belonging to a specific table service or was owned by a particular individual. That is true with the spoon in discussion here.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by glock26 View Post
          hi,

just picked up this teaspoon in 925 silver.

looking through some old threads it would appear to be attributed to either von Ribbentrop or the old Reichs chancellery.

is anyone familiar with this pattern?

cheers, del.
          Good day!
          The topic is very interesting!
          I met for sale various cutlery of this design with samples of silver 925 and stamps from different manufacturers:
          1) Körner & Proll Berlin (wheel with two wings); 2) manufacturer unknown to me (circle with a dot inside); 3) Bruckmann (is written "Bruckmann").
          On the pens there were images of an eagle with a swastika, but there were objects of the same design with the eagle of the Weimar Republic.
          Helmut Weitze refers them to cutlery from the Reich Chancellery. The buildings of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Reich Chancellery were located nearby and during their assault by the Soviet troops could be considered as one unit.
          With respect,
          Aleksei

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
            Good day!
            The topic is very interesting!
            I met for sale various cutlery of this design with samples of silver 925 and stamps from different manufacturers:
            1) Körner & Proll Berlin (wheel with two wings); 2) manufacturer unknown to me (circle with a dot inside); 3) Bruckmann (is written "Bruckmann").
            On the pens there were images of an eagle with a swastika, but there were objects of the same design with the eagle of the Weimar Republic.
            Helmut Weitze refers them to cutlery from the Reich Chancellery. The buildings of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Reich Chancellery were located nearby and during their assault by the Soviet troops could be considered as one unit.
            With respect,
            Aleksei
            Cutlery of the same manufacturer but with the eagle of the Weimar Republic. Ribbentrop has nothing to do with them.
            http://www.antik1941.ru/new_catalog/...&item_id=27987

Comment

Your piece is known as Ribbentrops flatware. I have a piece that is slightly different where some refer to it as a Reich Chancellery piece. I tried to verify this through many sources but ultimately no one could confirm.

Regards,
              Mike
              Attached Files
              https://www.ww2treasures.com

Comment

Assuming these are pre-45 produced, they seem more likely to be government related rather than to von Ribbentrop based on the eagle. If there is no evidence other than the general area where the silverware was found, it seems a stretch to attach it to any individual, at least IMO. Does anyone know where the von Ribbentrop connection originated?
                Erich
                Festina lente!

Comment

The collector community has recognized this pattern as Ribbentrops for quite some time. That said, I haven't come across any concrete evidence such as documentation.

In my experience, government flatware that I come across tends to be silver plated such as the asparagus server example I showed. Understanding the manufacturing process of these pieces, there's no question (for me) the asparagus server is pre 1945.

Personal pieces of flatware tend to be solid silver. The so called "Ribbentrop" silverware has a very high content of pure silver at 92.5%.
                  https://www.ww2treasures.com

Comment

does anybody have any diplomatic pieces with the eagle above the globe?

Comment

Again referring to Jim Yannes' "The Encyclopedia of Third Reich Tableware," he provides one example of the monogram you are referring to. On p.548-549 we find an example of the tableware from the German Embassy in Paris, which takes the form of the eagle w/downswept wings atop a wreathed swastika with a world globe behind the wreath. Below that is a half-wreath of oakleaves above the words: "Dt. Botschaft Paris," or German Embassy in Paris.

Hoping this is helpful,

Br. James

Comment

eating utensils and other accessories with the Ribbentrop symbol
                        Attached Files

Comment

and more...
                          Attached Files

Comment

The ones you show are from the Reich Chancellery like these others
                            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X