Insignia Question for SA Collectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insignia Question for SA Collectors

As Horst Wessel wore the #5 on his collar tab, what would be worn by other members of the unit.
    Attached Files
    Ed. Anderson,Jr.
    The film "Idiocracy" was originally released as a comedy. Now it has been re-released as a documentary.

Sarcasm is just one of my many talents!

Ed,
    Other members of this unit would have worn the same collar tab (though depending on rank the piping could be different). The "5" just stand s for 5th Standarte Berlin/Brandenburg. I've always understood it as if there was just one number, which would be the Standarte, it means the member was for of that Standartes staff. In this case, Horst Wessel was part of the 5th Standarte staff.

With it being Standarte staff, the color would remain that of the Gruppe color. Now, if were Gruppe Berlin/Brandenburg staff, I the insignia would be bright red.

I hope I was able to help.

Sydney

Comment

Hi Sydney, Thanks for the info. Regards, Ed.
      Ed. Anderson,Jr.
      The film "Idiocracy" was originally released as a comedy. Now it has been re-released as a documentary.

Comment

Hi Ed,

Sydney beat me to the punch...and he said all the things that I would have said!! He's right on the money, of course.

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by squidney86 View Post
          Ed,
          Other members of this unit would have worn the same collar tab (though depending on rank the piping could be different). The "5" just stand s for 5th Standarte Berlin/Brandenburg. I've always understood it as if there was just one number, which would be the Standarte, it means the member was for of that Standartes staff. In this case, Horst Wessel was part of the 5th Standarte staff.
          Sydney
          It is my opinion the worn collar patch for regular members would be 5/5, as Wessel had been a member of the fifth Sturm of Gau Ost (Berlin-Brandenburg), as far as I know. The fifth Sturm later got the right to wear a cuffband when a name was granted in 1930.
          The larger 5 indeed means staff and so Wessel was a staff-member for Standarte 5. Further it is my opinion the color for the patch is black, as the staff for a Standarte was not sanctioned for the red color, as was Obergruppen- and Gruppen staffs.

It might be of interest to know:
          Sturmführer Wessel died February 23, 1930. When in 1930 the name was granted to the Sturm I haven't found. But Sturmbann V was also granted the name "Horst Wessel" in April 1931 "in Anerkennung der Berliner Vorgänge". According to a letter from the Führungsamt der SA the name was granted April 20, 1931 to Standarte 5. It was never mentioned if the granting to Sturm 5 was ever cancelled. Note there is a difference in lettering upon the cuffband (Sturm 5 Latin; Standarte 5 Gothic).
          Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 01-22-2019, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Wilhelm, Thank you very much for the further clarification.
            Ed. Anderson,Jr.

Comment

Wilhelm, Thank you very much for the further clarification.
              Regards Ed.
              Ed. Anderson,Jr.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X