AH Silverware Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AH Silverware Question

Is there actually a AH pattern of silverware besides the AH with the eagle in the formal and informal pattern. I ask this because I've seen references to a "bergof" pattern that just has hold AH letters. I've also seen postings saying it's just hotel silverware.

Here is the link that talks a little about the pattern and I will attach a photo.

http://www.101airborneww2.com/souvenirs4.html
    Attached Files

Here's a similar pattern
    Attached Files

Comment

The pattern Mark Bando shows there is 100% legit, and removed from the Berghof.

There are many other examples of so-called 'giftware sets' given to Hitler by visitors, VIPs, even manufacturers looking to curry favor with him. As the years go by, undoubtedly more and more of these styles are being faked, and they are quickly deteriorating into the realm of Eva Braun and Goering silverware. In other words, it's becoming less clear what's real and what isn't.

Comment

CPB's response is spot-on and I couldn't agree more. There are a number of designs of engraved tableware simply bearing the letters "AH" and most were found at one or more of Hitler's residences, offices or on his yacht or train; these examples are presumed to be from gifts received by Hitler over the years and do not constitute his "personal silverware patterns" to the level that the Formal (State) or the Informal Patterns do. Books written by James Yannes, Dr. Mark Griffith and Dr. John Lattimer provide more detail and further examples.

Br. James

Comment

Are these original by any chance? Or is it possible to tell?
          Attached Files

Comment

It's possible they are real. I owned some like this or very similar in the past which came from a very reputable source. I forget the manufacturer name, but I am almost certain this style has since been copied, as that engraving would not be hard with the right equipment, and blank pieces in that style are a dime a dozen on eBay.

Comment

The four pieces shown represent three different tableware patterns, and each piece may have originated in a set of silverware of unknown quantity. Personally speaking, I would not add any of these "AH" engraved pieces to my collection -- while all of them MAY be original and genuine, all may also be fakes!

Br. James

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

whitman

you should take a look at whitmans site.
                  He has over 100 pieces of ORIGINAL
                  TR Silver lying little rat ,looks like he has had them made .
                  Hey no surprise there .

Comment

So does Charlie Snyder....

Comment

Were the original pieces in this pattern Wellner? That's what's these are supposed to be.

Comment

I'm with James on this one. I wouldn't want any of the "AH" examples shown...except for the ones shown on Mark Bando's site. Chris/James, we recently saw that same pattern in a picture you posted...the picture with the bread basket/candy dish looking piece.

As far as Charlie Snyder goes, it almost appears that someone acquired many of the deceased Snyder's collection. They do look awfully similar. They're right up there with the Wehrmacht toilette paper for sale on the same site.

https://www.ww2treasures.com

Comment

Mike, you’re right, I forgot about that photo.

Comment

Here are the stamps on the back of the AH pieces pictured below.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The August Wellner silversmith factory and firm was a prolific source of silver and silver-plated tableware, turning out many patterns, including some shown here. Wellner products were readily available in Germany and were used as the basis for many personal monograms.

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X