Herman Goring Spoon 800 silver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herman Goring Spoon 800 silver?

Is this spoon original? To me it just appears to be silver plate and not 800 and the pattern on the spoon itself is different than the other spoons that I've seen of this pattern that were silver.
    Attached Files

It looks like the maker mark is R. Miracoli which was an Italian silversmith who made a lot of 800 silver in the 40s so maybe my first guess was wrong? Has anyone seen HG silverware from this Maker?

Comment

On p.76-77 of James Yannes' "The Encyclopedia of Third Reich Tableware" (published by Trafford Publishing, 2013) is a photo of a dinner knife in this pattern and a description titled "PS-26 Goering Reichsmarschall, Italian Gift?" in which Yannes states: "Table knife: The obverse carries a very modest Reichsmarschall Coat of Arms: This Monogram is the Type 3. Reichsmarschall Eagle (5 wing feathers). This appears to be of Italian manufacture...Probably one of the many gifts to the Reichsmarschall." So yes, I think your spoon is original and from the same set that Yannes pictures and describes. Göring, like Hitler and many other of the leading Nazis and German military officials, was the recipient of countless personal gifts from an adoring public seeking his favor -- how little things change today!

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

I think you have to be hyper-careful with pieces like this. Yannes' book is very comprehensive, but I believe even he would admit that his inclusion of pieces does not by default mean they are legitimate. I see his book more as a collection of photos of 'what's out there' rather than 'what's real that's out there'.

Not to condemn this style, but authenticating Goering silverware is a whole other art form, and don't think anyone truly knows anymore. Same with EB silverware. Yes, there are pieces out there that were 100% owned and used by her, but go find one and bet your house on it.

Comment

Originally posted by CPB View Post
          I think you have to be hyper-careful with pieces like this. Yannes' book is very comprehensive, but I believe even he would admit that his inclusion of pieces does not by default mean they are legitimate. I see his book more as a collection of photos of 'what's out there' rather than 'what's real that's out there'.

Not to condemn this style, but authenticating Goering silverware is a whole other art form, and don't think anyone truly knows anymore. Same with EB silverware. Yes, there are pieces out there that were 100% owned and used by her, but go find one and bet your house on it.
          One thing I would like to point out, especially in the cases of Hitler and Goering, is the fact that both of them had multiple residences, TONS of possessions, and TONS of gifts given to them...my point being that "X, that was once owned by Goering" is not as rare as some collectors seem to think.

The gifts Hitler got on his 50th birthday alone, piece-for-piece, probably exceeds the sum total of gifts that everybody participating in this thread have ever gotten in our lifetimes, combined...

Just sayin'

Comment

Now I actually think the piece I posted here is fake, the star mark wasn't on Italian silver until 1968.

Does anyone know if these marks on the back were on original pieces with the crossed batons design?
            Attached Files

Comment

Yannes book has the same hallmark, but totally different design. It just reinforces my opinion about these "Goering Reichsmarschall" pieces. I don't like them and I stay away from them. I would need a period photo of the veteran holding one of these RM pieces in Goerings home for me to buy one. I don't want to condemn them entirely because I don't know for sure, but they're not for me.

I'm in the same boat as Chris on Yannes book - "I see his book more as a collection of photos of 'what's out there' rather than 'what's real that's out there". His book does have a copious amount of authentic pieces, but I think he has quite a few questionable items as well. The book lost credibility when I saw that Charlie Snyder was referenced as a source...and then saw the dreaded napkin rings.
              Attached Files
              https://www.ww2treasures.com

Comment

Hi Mike -- I'm not sure which book by Jim Yannes you're referring to, as Yannes recycles the same photos and descriptions among his several books on these subjects. If you're looking at his "The Encyclopedia of Third Reich Tableware" then the illustration you're showing appears on p.68-69 of that volume, whereas the one I'm referring to is on p.76-77 and the tableware pattern there is identical to the one in question.

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

Interesting is the Goring crest a better pattern if looking for an authentic piece? I would like to find an authentic piece without spending $1500 for a formal AH piece, but maybe that's my best option.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X