Armband opinions

Was needing some help with this kreisleiter armband
    Looks short in length?
    It looks ok to me but would like some opinions please

thanks
    Mike
    Attached Files

Hi Mike,

The brassard you show appears original to the period (1939-45) to me, though it is that of an Ortsgruppenleiter, not of a Kreisleiter. Armbands were provided in a long length, with the intention that they would be tailored to fit the wearer -- the example in my collection is 19 1/2 inches long, with unfinished ends. The piece you show appears to have finished ends, which would mean that it had been cut to the required size and then finished by the tailor for wear.

Hope this is helpful...you have a nice artifact.

Br. James

Comment

+1

Regards,
      Tim

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
      Hi Mike,

The brassard you show appears original to the period (1939-45) to me, though it is that of an Ortsgruppenleiter, not of a Kreisleiter. Armbands were provided in a long length, with the intention that they would be tailored to fit the wearer -- the example in my collection is 19 1/2 inches long, with unfinished ends. The piece you show appears to have finished ends, which would mean that it had been cut to the required size and then finished by the tailor for wear.

Hope this is helpful...you have a nice artifact.

Br. James

Comment

Thanks Mr. James
        very helpful

Mike

Comment

nice

Yep ime liking it .
          Didn't these have a directional arrow to the rear to indicate to the wearer what way up.
          So the wreath was worn only one way up.
          Seem to remember mine had it ,don't have it any longer.
          Beautiful piece. .
          Regards Pete

Comment

Hi Pete,

Yes, many of these brassards produced under the PL Uniform Code Revision of 1939 were manufactured with directions for a tailor indicating how to correctly mount the armband to the garment sleeve. Previous editions of the PL brassard had no need of such directions since the obverse of the armband looked the same, regardless of how it was mounted to the sleeve. But with the advent of rows of oakleaves incorporated into the design of the obverse, additional tailor's information was needed. (These armbands were intended to show the row(s) of oakleaves running from left to right, with the stem end of each oakleaf to its left and the tip end of each leaf to its right.) Many PL armbands were provided with an arrow stamped in white ink toward one end of the long length of the material, indicating "up," while others used the RZM tag or coded words/numbers to indicate which was the "top" of the armband. If the tag or the words/numbers could be directly read, then that was the way the armband was supposed to be mounted to the sleeve. Stamped arrows or even the RZM tag were often cut off by the tailor in order to mount the armband to the sleeve correctly, but once it was mounted, it would not be removed again.

Br. James

Comment

nice

Br James .
              Thanks for the additional information .
              Very nice info ,its great to learn.
              Regards Pete

Comment

Thanks, Pete! I learn so much here on WAF from you and all of our colleagues. What a wealth of information and experience we see here!!

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

A very nice original example!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X