Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge rolled-up AH painting

Posting this for a friend.

The story goes it was acquired from a GI's son a few years back. The painting has been rolled up and stored for years. It's huge - 7ft by 4ft.

Anyone seen a painting like this before? There is no discernible artist's signature.

Thanks

Chris
    Attached Files

I have one of Mussolini that was stored rolled up and in a very similar condition. It had remained that way until a few years ago when I acquired it. A friend had a contact in the restoration community that restored and it came out looking great. I cannot post pictures here unfortunately. Is there any indication as to who the artist might be which of course could greatly effect it's value?
    Jim

Comment

Hi Jim, no, apparently there’s no visible artist signature on it...

I’m intrigued by the size of it. Where would a 7ft-high oil painting of Hitler had been hung originally?

It was once framed, but the GI cut it out of its mounting.

Comment

The style is not familiar to me, Chris, but a painting of this size might well have been displayed at the HDK (though from the photo and the condition of the piece as it is now, it doesn't appear to be that unique) or, given the background subject matter, perhaps in the Kehlsteinhaus or in one of the hotels in the Obersalzberg Administration or some other rural hotel.

It looks like it's in pretty poor condition, so I would think the owner would want to have it appraised before spending good money on having it restored. Just my opinion, of course!

Br. James

Comment

This painting at the very least will have to be re-lined. cleaned, inpainted and installed on to a new stretcher. Also a suitable frame will need to be found which is no easy task considering the size of the painting. You are going to have to be the judge as to whether it's worth it and then there comes the issue of a place to display it. IMO: This painting is most suitable for a large collection or as part of a museum display.
          Jim

Comment

This painting at the very least will have to be re-lined. cleaned, inpainted and installed on to a new stretcher. Also a suitable frame will need to be found which is no easy task considering the size of the painting. You are going to have to be the judge as to whether it's worth it and then there comes the issue of a place to display it. IMO: This painting is most suitable for a large collection or as part of a museum display.
            Jim

Comment

My buddy who’s looking at this piece has no intention of restoring. It’s a GI-captured piece, and would display it as such.

Thanks for all the comments.

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X