Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early SA Kepi

any chance for this kepi?

pics are not great but i am waiting on some better ones.

cheers, del.
    Attached Files

more pics

pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi del,

This is a curious piece, IMO. The leather chin strap is obviously a replacement on the cap body as the strap appears to be quite old and worn, while the cap itself -- both the exterior and the interior -- appear to be almost unused. The chin strap hole used in mounting the strap to the pins has broken through from use on one side, so the strap has been lightly tacked into place there. I'm not sure about the seating of either the M'1927 eagle or the gold-colored button to the front of the cap; the mounting of both look a bit like an after-thought. The oil-cloth interior appears to be correct, though I don't see any markings at all; period kepis normally carry the rubber-stamped logo of the manufacturer and a size indication, while others include a large SA logo stamped to the middle of the interior top.

From what I see, this piece gives the impression of being a "parts" kepi, constructed of elements from other SA caps of the period, and the newness or freshness of the kepi's body does not indicate that it could be as much as 90 years old.

Br. James

Comment

hi Br. James,

thanks for the input. i asked for more detailed photos but am still waiting. perhaps the reluctance to send any better pictures says it all.

cheers, del.

Comment

I think you're right, del. The pix here tell the story; it is what it is.

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

I agree with Br. James. This looks rather like a parts kepi than a one piece original. All parts look original, though, but all together they’re not creating a homogenious impression with me too.

However, these early kepis are quite rare and maybe better pics would justify its purchase despite it may be put together from original parts.

Comment

IMO, at least from these photos, I think it looks like an early original. The twill does look rubbed and worn and the interior appears to show some wear and damage, although it looks like the sweatband may be loose in some areas.
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

early sa kepi

Hi I brought this kepi and it is 100% original to time period,chin strap needed a bit of restoration but now looks great ,it does believe it or not when you look closely at it as many many stains,i am very happy with it,the moderator was right and i have a bargain

Comment

Glad you're happy, Joey...enjoy it!

Br. James

Comment

early sa kepi.

Thank you very much I will,if you look closely at your photo there is a 57 size mark very faint in the crown,and makers mark,for a kepi made maybe as early as 1926 you would expect some fading of marks.Regards Joey

Comment

Congratulations!
                      Erich
                      Festina lente!

Comment

kepi

Thanks eric you where the one who was right

Comment

"... a kepi made maybe as early as 1926..."

Dear Joey,

The SA "coffee can" kepi design goes back to 1928/29 and the first eagle and swastika used on these caps was the "M-1927," as seen on the kepi discussed here.

Br. James

Comment

sa kepi

Dear Sir I saw a photo of an early rally and was dated 1926,perhaps they where wrong in there dating,I stand corrected.Regards Joey.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Charles View Post
                              Dear Sir I saw a photo of an early rally and was dated 1926,perhaps they where wrong in there dating,I stand corrected.Regards Joey.
                              The SA-cap (and SS-cap) we know was anyway in use in 1926, but might have been "worn experimentally" already since 1925.
                              The SA-cap is mentioned in SA-Befehl 12 (Sturmführer) from November 12, 1926. Here it was said that the flaps were larger,
                              as for those wearing a colored top, this had to be visible 1,0 cm. The eagle was not worn earlier then April 1931 by the SA
                              (the SS did wear the eagle since 1927: Befehl Nr. 2 from the Schutzstaffel-Oberleitung from November 4, 1927).
                              Likewise caps were worn by other formations in the mid-1920's.
                              Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 09-19-2018, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X