NSDAP Armband Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ron,

I've never studied nor specialized in armbands over the decades but I've often wondered why some examples of varied organizations' brassards turn up with a round rubber stamping usually along the edge of the white central disk, though occasionally on the body of the armband. These rubber stampings are circular and usually illegible due to a blurred image on cloth, with a Political eagle & swastika in the center and text around the outer edge inside the circle -- resembling various official Reich, Gau and Kreis-level rubber stamps seen on official documents such as NSDAP Membership Books and the like. You are showing an example here in this thread in the photo on note #8.

Most armbands I've seen don't have one of these rubber-stampings on them, but some do, and I've long wondered what that was all about...indeed, the presence of such a rubber-stamping appears to me to diminish the armband on which it's found. Anything you or any of our other colleagues here could teach me would be greatly welcomed -- MANY thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
      Hey Ron,

I've never studied nor specialized in armbands over the decades but I've often wondered why some examples of varied organizations' brassards turn up with a round rubber stamping usually along the edge of the white central disk, though occasionally on the body of the armband. These rubber stampings are circular and usually illegible due to a blurred image on cloth, with a Political eagle & swastika in the center and text around the outer edge inside the circle -- resembling various official Reich, Gau and Kreis-level rubber stamps seen on official documents such as NSDAP Membership Books and the like. You are showing an example here in this thread in the photo on note #8.

Most armbands I've seen don't have one of these rubber-stampings on them, but some do, and I've long wondered what that was all about...indeed, the presence of such a rubber-stamping appears to me to diminish the armband on which it's found. Anything you or any of our other colleagues here could teach me would be greatly welcomed -- MANY thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Br. James
      +1

Very well expressed; I've wondered that as well. Was this a security issue - moving between areas/sectors; why else apply a rubber document stamp to a piece of clothing? We sometimes see multiple over-stamps and even several different types on one brassard. Interesting to learn why as well.

James

Comment

Nice

Don't want to kill a flea with a sledgehammer.

Not quite sure what that means.am i the flea.
        ?????????
        Regards Pete 😁

Comment

Pete,

Definitely not my friend!

It is a saying that I picked up a few years ago.

It means making a really big issue about a very, very minor matter.

Like killing a tiny insect with a giant object.

I had already shown an example, and proved a point IMHO and was then adding another example when it was not needed.

Hope you understand my attempt at humor.

Best regards,
          Ron
          RonR

Comment

ha

Hi there Ron.
            Sorry that went over my head .
            I am going to brush up on this type now.I have been inspired.
            Always good to add a new string to your bow.Thanks for posting both examples.
            Would be nice to get to handle a few examples ,always the best way.
            Best regards Pete

Comment

The printed party armbands definitely existed pre45, as shown here and as noted in the SA regulation pages. Printed party armbands were forbidden to be worn with SA uniforms.
              Re the stamps--SA regulations required armbands to be stamped as shown above (interestingly here on a printed armband that was not allowed to be worn with a uniform....obviously this unit was part of the problem!). After a few years the stamping was no longer required.
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

Thanks for this info on the stampings, Erich; very helpful. What was it that the stamps were intended to indicate? Since they are usually found in a blurry condition, it is very difficult to read the words on such stamps. And were different stamps used, as opposed to just one text?

Many thanks,

Br. James

Comment

I have had several and if I remember correctly they have city name or district. I think I have some pics with clear stamps from a factory finding. PS these were also printed

Comment

Were these stamps to indicate a type of security or "ID" to show an individual was operating in a certain area or where they came from, or just something to show place of manufacture?

Thanks!

James

Comment

I found a reference in the SA regulation updates of 3. February 1936; it's noted that the stamping was only necessary during the Kampfzeit, so that armbands were no longer to be stamped. Now I need to find the original order for stamping the armbands to see whether or not the reason is given. I assume it was security related.
                      Erich
                      Festina lente!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X