Adolf Hitler Demitasse Creamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever seen an Adolf Hitler Demitasse Creamer? If yes, was it a fantasy piece or not?

Nothing comes immediately to mind, but I hope Brent Smith responds to your inquiry. Brent has much more experience with AH silver objects than many of us!

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

hi bill..........i'm not sure what you mean,the creamer that came with the coffee and tea services isn't all that big,they are roll stamped with the eagle/ah..........dave

Comment

Please post pictures of this creamer for review.

Please post pictures of this AH creamer in question for review. AH Creamers did come in 2 sizes one being larger than the other. Need to see pictures. Yes as Dave said the AH only roll stamped on these types of pieces. Brent

Comment

Roll engraved or stamped tableware would bear the maker's mark of August Wellner's Sons AG. The firm of Peter Bruckmann & Sons did not employ this personalization process, to my knowledge.

Thanks, as always, Brent!

Br. James

Comment

What is a demitasse creamer?

Comment

A 'demitasse creamer' is a small cream pitcher designed to be used with deimtasse coffee, such as espresso.

Br. James

Comment

I am not presently able to show a photograph of the creamer because I am temporarily staying at an assisted living facility due to foot wound. I believe, however, that I can give a relatively good description of it.

The item in question is basically a small three ounce demitasse creamer having a plain round up and down shape with a simple handle and spout. It is also made of a base metal with silver plating. The bottom of the creamer has the stamp of the WMF firm, consisting of a stork inside a rhombus or lozenge. The eagle/swastika/A.H., characteristic of the type seen on the Wellner holloware pieces, is roll stamped, a procedure probably subcontracted to Wellner because of WMF´s lack of tooling for that type of stamping.

I purchased this demitasse creamer in 1985 from Frank D. Gish of Denver who was a prominent collector of Adolf Hitler Memorabilia. He said it came from the Fuehrerbau in Munich.

Comment

Very interesting, Bill. I can't say that I've ever seen a genuine period piece of AH tableware or associated silver pieces that bore the mark of any firm other than Bruckmann, August Wellner or one of it's various logos, or the FHW hallmark of the Wandinger silver/goldsmiths of Munich. A piece bearing the "WMF" mark of the Württemberg cutlery factory as well as the rolled AH monogram would be of interest to see.

Br. James

Comment

WMF & Wellner

Dear Br. James,

I know of two major examples where Wellner and WMF worked together in producing silver items for Adolf Hitler. Those items are the R. K. Goose platter and the A. H. Napkin Holder.

The R. K. Goose Platter consisted of three parts; namely, the dome, the grate, and the platter. The grate and platter were made by Wellner and roll stamped by that firm with the R. K./eagle/swastika monogram. The dome, on the other hand, was fabricated by WMF which did not have the tooling to roll stamp the monogram. So that procedure was subcontracted to Wellner.

The A. H. Napkin Holder was manufactured by WMF, but it was roll stamped by Wellner because WMF again did not have the proper tooling for stamping the A. H./eagle/swastika monogram on the napkin holder.

One can see both of these items at www.od43.com.

In addition to the above silver pieces, WMF made made trays, platters, and wine buckets, sometimes in collaboration with the Wellner firm.

Comment

A few clear pictures of the small creamer is needed to authenticate

I think everyone would agree we need several clear pictures showing this small AH creamer in question . Clear pictures of the roll stamped AH and Eagle will help . Fake AH serving pieces are carefully hand cut but lack perfection . Also the style of this piece should match the larger creamer in my eyes. Brent

Comment

I am presently residing at an assisted living facility.When I get back to my house, I will send a picture of the creamer.

The creamer is plain but exquisitely made. The Wellner style A.H./eagle/swastika monogram, moreover, is definitely roll stamped. In fact, one can see a very faint impression made by the stamping on the inside of the creamer.

It appears that this creamer has never been seen by the majority of collectors. In any event, please keep those comments coming, both favorable and unfavorable.

Comment

Dear Bill,

Thank you for providing further details on this matter, and I'm very sorry that you're having health issues. Hopefully you will be safely at home very soon!

I am not familiar with the dealer at www.od43.com; can you direct me to the exact location of the Wellner/WMF joint pieces?

Your reference to an "A. H./eagle/swastika monogram on the napkin holder" does remind me of another thread here on WAF on which AH Napkin Rings have been generally discredited in the hobby.

Again, hoping that you're feeling much better soon,

Br. James

Comment

A. H. Demitasse Creamer

Dear Br. James,

Click the following two sites (Ray Cowdery).

www.od43.com/AH_Wellner_napkin_holder.html

www.od43.com/AH_Wellner_120_Goose_Tray.html
                            Last edited by Bill Stubno; 09-11-2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much for providing the appropriate links to these two items, Bill. Both are quite interesting pieces. Now that I see the reference for the Turkey Platter as shown and described in both Dr. Mark Griffith's second and combined books on "Liberated AH Memorabilia," I very much appreciate this reference. Unfortunately the AH Napkin Holder is not included in those reference works. I also see that Dr. Griffith is apparently preparing a very long-awaited follow-up book to his previous efforts -- the latest of which, the edition which combined both his 1st and 2nd volumes, was published in 1986. I look forward with anticipation to adding this volume to my library!

One matter that is of concern here is that this AH Napkin Holder has not, to my knowledge, been seen in any period photograph or within any collection verified to have been "liberated" during WWII or thereafter. And, while Dr. Griffith's previous reference works are definitely accepted as standards for verifying period pieces -- since his books were written to describe the very artifacts his father had brought back from WWII -- I believe Dr. Griffith has, in the ensuing decades since 1986, added to and sold pieces from his father's collections. This may cause questions to arise about pieces such as this AH Napkin Holder, which was not included in the earlier Griffith books. But I do look forward to seeing what the good doctor has to offer us in a new volume!

Again, with thanks to you, Bill,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X