Clear All

AH Napking

Original Adolf Hitler Napkin or Fake?
    Thanks.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Original or fake Napkin?

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

Was there any background documentation provided with this piece?

Br. James

Comment

That monogram would not be at all hard to re-produce.

As such, without good veteran provenance or past owner pedigree, I wouldn't feel 100% comfortable owning that.

Comment

Thank you very much.
          I know nothing about the origin of this napkin, The seller died the family made me see a few pieces to buy.

Comment

It's frustrating, as with patterns and pieces like this it's almost impossible to know—and yet real pieces probably did and do exist. Exactly the same situation with EB engraved knives, forks, etc. I don't think anybody really knows good from bad now.

Comment

Originally posted by CPB View Post
              It's frustrating, as with patterns and pieces like this it's almost impossible to know—and yet real pieces probably did and do exist. Exactly the same situation with EB engraved knives, forks, etc. I don't think anybody really knows good from bad now.

This set is also part of the collection for sale Eva Braun porcelain. Original??????

Comment

Originally posted by a.h. View Post
                This set is also part of the collection for sale Eva Braun porcelain. Original??????

I have no idea, but I'd be very surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by a.h. View Post

Errrrr..... No. Need provenance and this is not really what I like anyway.

Comment

"It's frustrating, as with patterns and pieces like this it's almost impossible to know—and yet real pieces probably did and do exist. Exactly the same situation with EB engraved knives, forks, etc. I don't think anybody really knows good from bad now."

I couldn't agree more, Chris, and that's a sad state of affairs! Part of the ongoing problem is that so many people had gifts created for Hitler -- for his birthday, for Christmas, and for any and all other occasions -- and they chose to have silverware engraved with his initials and napkins and table cloths embroidered with his initials, and since there was no well-known and centralized pattern to follow, all of those pieces were created by each artist alone. And individually, without any provenance or history to each piece, there is no way of telling today what is original to the period and the occasion and what is not. And when you add to that the ability of post-war people to "create artifacts after the fact," there is now no end or limit to what might turn up!

When presented with silverware and clothware such as napkins and table cloths, the discerning collector can only refuse to believe that any of it is original to the period and to the place -- unless the piece comes with believable provenance. A sad state of affairs indeed...!

Br. James

Comment

Thank you as always for the good advice..I collect mainly AH Use as a reference book "Liberated adolf Hitler Memorabilia" by Griffith.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X