AH Monogram Tea Napkin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CPB View Post
    Sorry, I just don't buy the story about the manufacturer still making these exact napkins after the war. That company was [and still is] a highly respected linen producer—and given the stigma and legal implications of being anything close to a Nazi after May 8 1945, makes it dubious to say the least.

That said, I can believe imitation 'AH' napkins could have been made post-war, bearing just his initials, perhaps crudely hand-sewn by a jobbing seamstress onto regular 'shop-bought' napkins as a souvenir for GIs...but these exact napkins? No way.
    I know that these napkins were hand embroidered but who was the Company that made them?

BTW, I don't believe the story either.

Comment

Lif you do not believe me that's fine....It happens to be true, I and others knew her and she was certainly not scandalous...she was simply exploiting the need for these items...and if you cannot believe they were not made after 1945 you are simply wrong...you need to live here and know what could and couldn't have happened following the war...S&L is a good example.
      Sometimes it's just not worth bothering telling certain people things they don't want to hear but that are none the less true. I have a few items of linen and would be happy to have one of Winters specials.
      Of course one or two of the employees knew her well and would have happily made some for a small return.
      Last edited by praubal; 11-22-2016, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
        I know that these napkins were hand embroidered but who was the Company that made them?

BTW, I don't believe the story either.
        http://www.strunkmann-meister.de

Comment

As Erich shared, I've always heard that AH napkins -- both Formal and Informal (luncheon) -- and tablecloths were hand-embroidered with the eagle and initials. Perhaps what Praubal is inferring is that the company that produced the finished blank napkins and cloths also arranged to have those items personalized with a hand-sewn monogram, and that they were willing to continue to respond to orders placed by Frau Winter, post-war?

I have absolutely no doubt that almost everyone living in the major cities of Germany after the surrender suffered greatly due to the lack of housing, food, employment and all the basic needs of existence, all of which were destroyed during the war effort. People did whatever they could to stay alive, and when someone noticed that members of the occupying forces would positively respond to the offer of "war souvenirs," they happily provided whatever they could lay their hands on...and they associated those items with Hitler and the NSDAP. This is human nature, to survive the best way one can, on behalf of one's self and one's family. But today, 71 years after the desperation of 1945, collectors and historians seek truth and accuracy, and those things that were provided to the occupying forces so long ago -- articles that were created out of 'whole cloth' -- are not accepted as genuine and original, nor should they be.

Perhaps there needs to be a new classification of WWII collectibles -- "items that were created to please the occupation forces?!"

Br. James

Comment

Hi
            I would really like to see one of these napkins, does anyone know how many were produced, when did they stop production? How come you don't see more napkins on the market?
            Regards
            Frank

Comment

There is an example of this informal/luncheon service napkin currently listed and shown in the Ratisbon's Auction -- it does NOT appear to be the identical piece to the one shown at the beginning of this thread, but is quite similar. Ratisbon's shows both sides of the embroidery. Ratisbon's lists this piece as:

ADOLF HITLER - REICHSKANZLEI NAPKIN

LOT 20-389

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
              X