Are these men SA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these men SA?

Yes. Note that throughout the picture you see some wearing their brownshirt with collar tabs along with the tunic and some not. Also you can see a couple vertical collar tabs in wear.

Sydney

Comment

Originally posted by squidney86 View Post
      Yes. Note that throughout the picture you see some wearing their brownshirt with collar tabs along with the tunic and some not. Also you can see a couple vertical collar tabs in wear.

Sydney
      Thank you Sydney. How about the collar tabs worn here?

Last edited by BlackWatch1; 09-05-2016, 05:59 AM.

Comment

These are the vertical tabs I had mentioned. Below is a link to a unissued set. I have better pics in my files but I'm not home now.

https://www.weitze.net/militaria/71/...3__210371.html

Comment

Collar

I am not convinced that Squidney86 is right but I have no idea of my own.

Comment

The 'technical' term "Mixed Bag" comes to mind as I look at this photo! Two of the uniformed men...presumably SA...appear to be wearing BOTH the SA-Traditions Brown Shirt AND the later SA Tunic -- as I understand it, the Brown Shirt was itself a jacket and was not worn with anything over it, except a Great Coat.

The man on the left in the top photo of note #3 appears to be wearing a collar tab of the SA-Reiter (equestrian units) -- according to the SA Regs of March 1934 -- but his tab has no indication of his Sturm number. Also, he's wearing a single shoulder board on his LEFT shoulder...??

Very interesting! I hope someone out there has a better idea of who these men were than I do!! Cheers, and Happy Labor Day,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Ankar View Post
              I am not convinced that Squidney86 is right but I have no idea of my own.
              What else would they be then? I know the example I showed is obviously not the same as what is pictured but it's to get an idea of what's going on. In David Fuller's book there is a picture of a vertical, Reiter Sturm tab. I know "vertical" isn't the technical term for these but I've never heard a proper name.

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                The 'technical' term "Mixed Bag" comes to mind as I look at this photo! Two of the uniformed men...presumably SA...appear to be wearing BOTH the SA-Traditions Brown Shirt AND the later SA Tunic -- as I understand it, the Brown Shirt was itself a jacket and was not worn with anything over it, except a Great Coat.

The man on the left in the top photo of note #3 appears to be wearing a collar tab of the SA-Reiter (equestrian units) -- according to the SA Regs of March 1934 -- but his tab has no indication of his Sturm number. Also, he's wearing a single shoulder board on his LEFT shoulder...??

Very interesting! I hope someone out there has a better idea of who these men were than I do!! Cheers, and Happy Labor Day,

Br. James
                Br.James,

This is what makes the SA so difficult to study. Yes, there was regulations in place but too often this scenario is what happened. Members just wore their uniform of they deemed fit! To me, this is what makes it fun!

As for the Reiter tab, I believe the Sturm number is there but it's in dark lettering/stitching.

Sydney

Comment

These are all SA-men. The brownshirt in combination with the tunic was forbidden, but was often done. I pretty sure this picture was taken between July and November 1933. I July 1933 the shoulderboard was introduced to the brownshirt. In October 1933 the Golden Party Badge. I have seen the Führer of Standarte (with Tresse arround his cap) before when he wore the GPB.

Is it possibleto read any figurs on the collar tabs? Picture must be of Westfalen.

Best,
                  Laurens

Comment

I certainly agree, Laurens, that even among the highest levels of NSDAP organizations, people wore what they wanted to, as well as what they had at hand! (It does make for challenges when trying to ascertain a date for a photo, but it is a very human attribution!) Regulations were paper documents, but people will be people!

What do you make of the fellow wearing the single shoulder board on the LEFT shoulder...when everyone else is wearing one board on his RIGHT shoulder?!

This appears to be a photo of a wedding party...so do I see an SA member wearing a MOURNING BAND on his armband?? Perhaps he was the former boyfriend of the bride?! (See the middle enlargement of the three in note #1 -- the person at the far right margin of the frame.)

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                      I certainly agree, Laurens, that even among the highest levels of NSDAP organizations, people wore what they wanted to, as well as what they had at hand! (It does make for challenges when trying to ascertain a date for a photo, but it is a very human attribution!) Regulations were paper documents, but people will be people!

What do you make of the fellow wearing the single shoulder board on the LEFT shoulder...when everyone else is wearing one board on his RIGHT shoulder?!

This appears to be a photo of a wedding party...so do I see an SA member wearing a MOURNING BAND on his armband?? Perhaps he was the former boyfriend of the bride?! (See the middle enlargement of the three in note #1 -- the person at the far right margin of the frame.)

Br. James
                      Yes, I think you're right about this is probably a wedding party of probable a Führer of a Sturmbann because of the rank of the officer.
                      Good observation concerning the wrong attached shoulderboard. Must be an error. He didn't read the rules that well for sure.
                      Must be taken shortly after the shoulderboard had to be worn.

Comment

I agree, Laurens. Both the groom and the ex-boyfriend appear to have been SA-Sturmführers!

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

The man with the board on the wrong shoulder looks like he is an SA Reiter--I think he is wearing a vertical cavalry tab as noted by Br. James. When the Reiter uniform/insignia was introduced, there was apparently some confusion. The regulations called for 'double shoulder straps' and photographic evidence can be found with Reiter troops wearing 2 shoulder boards and, less often, only one on the 'wrong' side. The order was thereafter clarified to indicate it referred to the leather suspender shoulder straps (Y straps) but that the shoulder board should be worn as normal.
                          Erich
                          Festina lente!

Comment

Great information, Erich! If you can provide the date of the regulation which introduced the original SA-Reiter uniform instruction, plus the date of the clarification of this uniform instruction, that would seem to capture the period during which this wedding took place and the group photo was taken.

BlackWatch1 should be delighted with this new detail. I certainly am! Every day is a great day to learn something new on WAF!

Br. James

Comment

Thank you everyone for your very valuable help with this photo! I "repair" these photos using Photoshop and post them on Flickr and try to include as much information as possible. Please when you see an error in my description or wish to add more information send me a message.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123629787@N04/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X