Help dating an SA photograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help dating an SA photograph

Judging by this uniform could this photo of been taken in the late 20's? Thanks

I'd say 1929-1930. Nice piece.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
      I'd say 1929-1930. Nice piece.

Br. James
      Thank you! Would of it still been common for an SA member to not have any collar patches at this time?

Comment

SA-Mann

1926 regulations show piping in a single color. Either the man has dark collar piping, or none at all. Since the regulations from early 1933 on show ALL ranks having collar tabs, even candidates, it's possible they haven't been sewn on yet.

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
          1926 regulations show piping in a single color. Either the man has dark collar piping, or none at all. Since the regulations from early 1933 on show ALL ranks having collar tabs, even candidates, it's possible they haven't been sewn on yet.
          I personally don't see any piping. Candidates would have had two blank tabs or one with the Unit and the rank tab blank?

Sydney

Comment

Comment

"Candidates would have had two blank tabs or one with the Unit and the rank tab blank?"

A very good question from Sydney...one which I can't answer. Hopefully we'll see some responses from those among us who have closely studied the evolution of SA uniforms and can provide a knowledgeable and cogent response.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                "Candidates would have had two blank tabs or one with the Unit and the rank tab blank?"

A very good question from Sydney...one which I can't answer. Hopefully we'll see some responses from those among us who have closely studied the evolution of SA uniforms and can provide a knowledgeable and cogent response.

Br. James
                I know for sure that I've seen pictures of the unit tab in wear with a blank rank tab which indicates an SA Mann and after '42 I believe two blank tabs are for a Anwarter but I don't know for the early regs.

Comment

best guess....based on the standardized production of the armband (ie not homemade and not poorly made) and the belt buckle....early 1930s....
                  once again this is a best guess.

Comment

What is the origin of the shirt? Strange pointed pocket flaps and narrow pleats.

Comment

I've seen many photos of newly outfitted SA candidates without tabs--I believe the protocol is addressed in the SAVB. The photo is should date to the pre-33 based on the all tan kepi, no shoulder board (but apparently a cloth loop to retain the cross strap), the early clip on the cross strap, the box buckle.
                      Regarding the pockets--almost every brownshirt has pockets of different sizes with differently shaped flaps when compared to other brownshirts. The wartime shirts were more standardized although there is some variation to a number of details.
                      Erich
                      Festina lente!

Comment

I agree early 30s...and those ears are regulation windcatchers

Comment

Thank you everyone for your contribution to this photo's uniform history

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X