• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Trophy / Desk Eagle. Help Needed

Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Gentlemen. Any information you felt able to provide on this impressive and very heavy bronze or brass eagle on a marble mount, or the artist himself, would be greatly appreciated.

Whatever inscription originally appeared on the plate has been completely removed.

Sports award, presentation item or something else?
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes, imo its the eagle from the NSRL (Nationalsozialistische Reichsbund für Leibesübungen) so a higher Sports Award or better a Prize from this organisation..
        I cannot make out the signature good enough to find anything.
        Looks like Kallkreuth ?
        Last edited by Thälmannpionier; 07-12-2016, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I agree with Andreas' thoughts on this very impressive piece. I wonder whether there has ever been an engraved inscription or dedication on the plate, or perhaps this piece had never been awarded or presented? I look forward to other colleagues' responses here, particularly our own Michael "Mloppkit" who has great knowledge and experience with eagle statuary.

Br. James

Comment

shame about the plate..maybe it had a 1936 Olympic Games connection....or it was never engraved. Smart to safe the photos for future reference..it may pops up engraved 10 years from now..better be prepared

Comment

DUMB question ,but ,wouldn"t the plaque nameplate be insciped first then placed on trophy?.. EC

Comment

Originally posted by mrec27777 View Post
                DUMB question ,but ,wouldn"t the plaque nameplate be insciped first then placed on trophy?.. EC
                Lets say the plate was never ever engraved.. (i cannot really see on the photos provided if there are marks left from removal or smooth as made)..the plate would already had been on the trophy and engraved on the spot so to say...for example with the winner of a soccer game or actually winner of any tournament...imo this piece is not a handmade piece but made in the period from "the" original handmade artist piece..thats totally fine. I would also asume its made of brass instead of bronze.

Comment

Hi Lanner55,

Gentlemen. Any information you felt able to provide on this impressive and very heavy bronze or brass eagle on a marble mount, or the artist himself, would be greatly appreciated.

Great early NSRL piece by Barbara Von Kalkreuth, usually presented by Sport Leader Tschammer,

Cheers,
                  Michael

Comment

Great to hear from you, Michael -- I knew you'd have something of substance to add to this interesting thread!

EC asked: "...wouldn"t the plaque nameplate be insciped first then placed on trophy?" I think the inscribing could happen either way, as some prizes and award statuary had a place designated within the design for adding an inscription, while others were provided with a blank plate for inscribing. Since many if not most inscriptions needed to be hand-done, given the uncertain amount of space necessary to hold the text (the same award could be given for a whole variety of events and situations), a jeweler could work with either situation. It still happens today.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by br. James View Post
                      great to hear from you, michael -- i knew you'd have something of substance to add to this interesting thread!

Ec asked: "...wouldn"t the plaque nameplate be insciped first then placed on trophy?" i think the inscribing could happen either way, as some prizes and award statuary had a place designated within the design for adding an inscription, while others were provided with a blank plate for inscribing. Since many if not most inscriptions needed to be hand-done, given the uncertain amount of space necessary to hold the text (the same award could be given for a whole variety of events and situations), a jeweler could work with either situation. It still happens today.
                      Br. James
                      great point ,thanks,ec

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X