HH in June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HH in June

Anyone bidding anything on the upcoming HH auction selling things from the John K. Lattimer Collection?

An interesting offering of personality items but doesn't fit into my collection.

Mil

Some really macabre stuff, like the segments of hangmans nooses and cyanide capsule container.

Comment

I have the same issue, nothing really fitting my collection.

Comment

I see Goering's watch has receiver bids passed €10k.

Comment

Cool stuff for wealthy men. Can someone give a bit more background information about the former collector?
          Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Hi Wim,

There are some informative articles on Dr. John K. Lattimer online; just Google "John K. Lattimer" and you'll get to them.

I never met Dr. Lattimer but I did exchange some correspondence with him a number of years before his death in 2007, and I have an inscribed and autographed copy of his book in my library. It would have been wonderful to have spent time with him in conversation; he must have been a fount of knowledge and experiences! And his collections speak for themselves.

May he rest in well-deserved peace.

Br. James

Comment

I finally had the chance to scan through the catalogue. Some very interesting and unusual items.

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                Hi Wim,

There are some informative articles on Dr. John K. Lattimer online; just Google "John K. Lattimer" and you'll get to them.

I never met Dr. Lattimer but I did exchange some correspondence with him a number of years before his death in 2007, and I have an inscribed and autographed copy of his book in my library. It would have been wonderful to have spent time with him in conversation; he must have been a fount of knowledge and experiences! And his collections speak for themselves.

May he rest in well-deserved peace.

Br. James
                Interesting man who was very close to the source.
                Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Originally posted by robs View Post
                  I see Goering's watch has receiver bids passed €10k.
                  Apart from the Goering conection. Is a very atractive and rare "complications" watch from the era, this could be purchased by a watch collector that sees it value in the timepiece itself and its mechanical complexity and put the infamous owner connection as a "surplus" historical fact and some added value, for a military collector would be the reverse!!!

Will look forward to see what the feldgrau A.Hitler four pocket tunic will fetch in the end, think is the only four pocket feldgrey or even one of the "party" ones that was/would be in private hands and outside of Russian archives, to date and excluding the two A.H. brownshirts and one visor hat in private collections...the full lot of surviving AH tunics and visor hats are in those archives. In my very personal opinion the AH tunic is the most important,rare and historical item of the lot, again my very personal view and opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Federico Perez View Post
                    Apart from the Goering conection. Is a very atractive and rare "complications" watch from the era, this could be purchased by a watch collector that sees it value in the timepiece itself and its mechanical complexity and put the infamous owner connection as a "surplus" historical fact and some added value, for a military collector would be the reverse!!!

Will look forward to see what the feldgrau A.Hitler four pocket tunic will fetch in the end, think is the only four pocket feldgrey or even one of the "party" ones that was/would be in private hands and outside of Russian archives, to date and excluding the two A.H. brownshirts and one visor hat in privately it was acquired, collections...the full lot of surviving AH tunics and visor hats are in those archives. In my very personal opinion the AH tunic is the most important,rare and historical item of the lot, again my very personal view and opinion.
                    I wonder, why would the eagle be missing on the tunic? The way it was acquired, makes no sense to me it was stripped?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
                      I wonder, why would the eagle be missing on the tunic? The way it was acquired, makes no sense to me it was stripped?
                      Probably the AH tunic eagle got the same treatment as some other high ranking officers/political figures uniforms, their insignia was stripped and taken as a war booty and the tunic itself discarded, as we can see in two of Goerings tunics that have been restored, the several Himmler RF tabs, shoulder boards in private hands...but still just one known Himmler untouched uniform with all its insignia, the superb white tunic shown in several reference books and forums, I am pretty sure the rest of the uniforms where stripped of their insignia an discarded or perhaps in a attic collecting dust unatributed. Who knows, maybe some one have a gold bullion eagle, thinking is from a Heer general or even Kriegsmarine.....when in reality is the one missing from this AH tunic!

AH uniforms had only one piece of cloth insignia (medals are another subject), in the party brown uniforms the party armband and in the fieldgrey uniform the gold bullion state eagle, so unlike the rest of the leaders of the TR, the selection of AH uniform insignia was...almost none!!

Rommel famous faded DAK tunic that was on display on his family museum, was missing one of the shoulder boards, some one noted that was taken from the tunic by Rommel Son, Manfred and given to a very close and respected family friend and historian, that was what I read about that missing piece of insignia.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X