Drinkhorn decorated with swastikas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinkhorn decorated with swastikas

Hello, I have this piece already longer time in my collection, it comes from an old Berlin home, can anyone tell me something about the piece, is already known something?

Silver and maker's mark on the small ball at the top length 25,5 cm

best regards Kanalhose
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kanalhose; 06-02-2016, 06:08 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

This magnificent horn may have absolutely nothing to do with the TR era. The presence of the "backwards" swastikas gives me the feeling that this piece could be a handcraft produced for export by one of the Native American tribes. In the mid-to-late 19th and early 20th centuries, Germany was nationally fascinated by the American 'Wild West,' as was seen in the toys that kids played with in those years. Not only were military subjects the focus of toys such as model soldiers, but equally popular were toys that depicted 'cowboys and indians' in the American West.

Certainly a beautiful work of art!

Br. James

Comment

I like it. It looks carefully made.

Regards, Wim
                Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                  This magnificent horn may have absolutely nothing to do with the TR era. The presence of the "backwards" swastikas gives me the feeling that this piece could be a handcraft produced for export by one of the Native American tribes. In the mid-to-late 19th and early 20th centuries, Germany was nationally fascinated by the American 'Wild West,' as was seen in the toys that kids played with in those years. Not only were military subjects the focus of toys such as model soldiers, but equally popular were toys that depicted 'cowboys and indians' in the American West.

Certainly a beautiful work of art!

Br. James
                  Lol!! Nothing wild west about that piece, nor native American. Interesting.

Comment

I love it.

Comment

My guess is that it was used by the Thule Society or maybe the Ahnenerbe.

Comment

Good guesses, Dale! It's certainly a beautifully-made piece, and for me the tie-in was the skilled and creative use of silver decoration...like the Native Americans still do today.

Br. James

Comment

I'd guess third reich. The two large round swastikas are identical to the stylized swastika on the crypt ceiling of Wewelsburg castle. The silver work is sterling, marked 925. I've not seen that hallmark before. Are there any other marks on the silver?
                          Last edited by herd118; 06-02-2016, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                            Good guesses, Dale! It's certainly a beautifully-made piece, and for me the tie-in was the skilled and creative use of silver decoration...like the Native Americans still do today.

Br. James
                            So, Indian handicraft I would exclude ... Seriously

Comment

Definitely not Native American, the sterling silver work is hallmarked with an European makers mark. The decoration is the same as German third reich architectural features I've seen before, and it is a traditional German drinking horn.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X