Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA shooting badges?

Hello all

A friend of mine have these 3 badges in his collection. They are supposed to be SA Rifle Shooting awards.

They are unknown to me. Can anyone tell me a little bit about their origin and background? Are they rare? I can't find any info online.

Thank you in advance
    Attached Files

Those are marksmanship awards of Deutscher Schützen Verband or D. Sch. V. (German Shooting Association). It was started by H. Goering in 1937 as the only competitive shooting organization in Germany at the time- Gov't controlled of course.
    They were given out for different types of firearms- not only rifles- as denoted by the accents on top of their 'ribbons'.
    I suppose a good number of those were awarded to the members of SA- organization with millions of members but I would not exactly call it an SA award either.
    Some of them were engraved on the back but most were blank.

cheers

Matt

Comment

Thank you for the info, Matt!

Never too old to learn something new

Comment

As Matthew says: Deutscher Schützen-Verband.
        The different insignia came into being when for the shootist the new uniform was agreed in spring 1937.
        The shown insignia with post 1 was phrased as "Auszeichnung für Schiessleistung" and was first noted in the magazine "Uniformen-Markt", nr. 12 from June 15, 1937. Page 1986. All about the insignia was mentioned to be covered in the Sportordnung, part XVI.
        The insignia were not specific for the SA and I am not sure, but it is possible they were not even allowed to be worn with the SA or other political uniforms. Just with official Schützenverband-meetings and occasions (offizielle Veranstaltungen des DSchV) the different forms were allowed to be worn with the SA-uniform, but just for the occasion (not any longer) (Uniformen-Markt, nr. 13 from July 1, 1938. Page 200)!

Ths insignia do exist in three classes, the small form and three classes, the bigger form (bronze, silver, gold). The so-called Waffenart, which were 1: Wehrmanngewehr; 2: Kleinkaliberbüchse; 3: Wehrmannzimmerstützen; 4: Gebrauchsmässige und Sportpistole (with many different arms to be used.
        Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 05-23-2015, 07:54 AM.

Comment

I've never seen a period photograph of an SA member wearing a marksmanship badge.
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X