Saxon SA tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saxon SA tab

Guys, completely out of my line with this one. Can someone please ID the SA unit this tab belongs to? Is it a jager standarte? Thanks.

Mike
    Attached Files

Tab

Can you post a pic of the reverse side? Green/white piping would be correct for Gruppe Sachsen, but I don't know why the numbers are yellow, unless it's a really early tab. I'm not even positive the green is actually "Emerald". It's almost dark enough to be considered "Steel Green". Let's see the back!!

Comment

I was told it is a very early tab. I'll ask the owner for a shot of the back asap. Thanks.

Comment

SA tab

this is one of two Saxon tabs that i know of with the bugle to denote (if i recall correctly from memory) a Jaeger or light infantry unit. the bugle device was mentioned at least twice in the SA-Verordnungsblatt specifically forbidding its use. i believe the origin of the bugle to be associated with the light infantry units that were being created during the Napoleonic period. these units used bugle calls rather than the drum signals to communicate orders to the troops. the light infantry were used as skirmishing troops, advancing in small groups and firing from whatever cover they could find rather that deploying in banks as was the usual practice. i haven't seen any other group that used this device. the reverse has the buckram portion covered with a piece of paper that may have been used to protect the glued part of the buckram possibly while it was drying. the tab was not identified on holcomb's book on the SA.

scarce piece and really nice to hold. it''s a bit larger that a typical SA tab and uses the 3 millimeter piping. very nice piece

t

Comment

It is a looker but very early i doubt..the piping is post 1934
          the bugle concept would fit..in the British Army we have the Light Infantry that have the bugle as cap badge

Comment

SA saxon

I used to own this tab. I'll post a photo of the reverse when i get to work. Al my primary reference stuff is boxed up. If have time weekend i'll post the Mahnung printed in the Verordnungsblatt. Surely Wim Saris and Laurens may also have some info on the unit and its tab.

Comment

Have no final answer. Maybe Laurens has.
              In about 1932 a white/green piping was used at Hamburg and at Sachsen, which had green (emerald-green). I have not found a Jägerstandarte 15 there, but at Bayerische Ostmark (Straubing). The use of the horn/bugle was at some time forbidden (I thought about 1932, but have no time to go through my information).
              As said Laurens surely may have more!

Comment

Saxon tab

hmmmm. was going to post a photo of the reverse of this tab but it won't let me. what am i doing wrong?

thx

t

Comment

Tab

Jill Holcomb's SA book has a similar tab pictured on pg. 160. The unit number is I/25. The bugle is positioned a little differently, but the embroidery is very similar. Unfortunately, they don't mention what color the tab is.

Comment

Saxon tab

the color of the unpiped tab in halcomb's book is the same - light green embroidery on a darker green.

still can't post a photo

Comment

Bugle verboten

"The use of the horn/bugle was at some time forbidden (I thought about 1932, but have no time to go through my information)."

i think this time frame for the Mahnungen in the V-blatt is correct. I recall seeing at least two different notices that the bugle was forbidden.

Comment

back side of the tab. 100% and yes the SA used them.
                        Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=echoe;6698230 I think this time frame for the Mahnungen in the V-blatt is correct. I recall seeing at least two different notices that the bugle was forbidden.[/QUOTE]

Would like to know where you have seen it in the Verordnungsblatt. Can't find it, but I know it is. Would also like to know where I can find the word "Mahnung(en)".

Comment

saxon bugle reverse

thx for posting the reverse side.

t

Comment

"Would like to know where you have seen it in the Verordnungsblatt. Can't find it, but I know it is. Would also like to know where I can find the word "Mahnung(en)"."

I can't remember the year or the citation. will try and look it up this weekend. Ja OK, Mahnung is a poor choice for translation. It is labelled as something else in the V-Blatt.
                              Selber schuld - bin nicht mehr fliessend.

t

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X