nskk crash helmet eagle for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nskk crash helmet eagle for review

He guys, this was taken off of a reproduction Italian tanker helmet...the person who put it on had to break it to get it on there! It might be worth soldering back together if its good. thoughts?
    Attached Files

Eagle

Looks original - where is it broken?

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
      Looks original - where is it broken?
      At the legs

Comment

Original !
        The legs are very fragile as they are very thin ...
        Nick

Comment

Eagle

I soldered the wing onto my early, small Party eagle, because it was hanging just by a thread. Now, you can't even tell it was broken. I've made stained glass for over 30 years, and I can provide a few tips to do a good repair that you won't notice. On the BACK ONLY, use a tiny piece of fine steel wool to clean a small area on the 2 sides to be soldered together. With the BACK of the insignia facing UP, use masking tape to attach the eagle to a flat surface so it doesn't move. Then tape the legs into the correct position so THEY don't move. (THIS TAPING PROCESS IS REALLY IMPORTANT!!)
          REMEMBER - you're only going to solder the back - don't touch the front!
          Once everything's in position, brush some SOLDERING PASTE on the cleaned areas. Using SOLID CORE SOLDER (No Resin core!), use a small soldering iron to solder the 2 halves together. Touch the end of the solder to the tip of the soldering iron just above the repair area, and the solder will be attracted to the paste, and adhere very well. Be delicate - you're only going to use a small drop of solder. It's unlikely the solder will go through the crack onto the front, because there's no paste there. When done, pour a little baking soda and warm water on the solder, and scrub lightly with a toothbrush to neutralize the acid in the paste. Immerse in some soapy water, and rinse. HINT: To get the idea how the solder flows, practice on a thin piece of junk metal. Just be sure to clean and then add soldering paste. It's EASY!!

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
            I soldered the wing onto my early, small Party eagle, because it was hanging just by a thread. Now, you can't even tell it was broken. I've made stained glass for over 30 years, and I can provide a few tips to do a good repair that you won't notice. On the BACK ONLY, use a tiny piece of fine steel wool to clean a small area on the 2 sides to be soldered together. With the BACK of the insignia facing UP, use masking tape to attach the eagle to a flat surface so it doesn't move. Then tape the legs into the correct position so THEY don't move. (THIS TAPING PROCESS IS REALLY IMPORTANT!!)
            REMEMBER - you're only going to solder the back - don't touch the front!
            Once everything's in position, brush some SOLDERING PASTE on the cleaned areas. Using SOLID CORE SOLDER (No Resin core!), use a small soldering iron to solder the 2 halves together. Touch the end of the solder to the tip of the soldering iron just above the repair area, and the solder will be attracted to the paste, and adhere very well. Be delicate - you're only going to use a small drop of solder. It's unlikely the solder will go through the crack onto the front, because there's no paste there. When done, pour a little baking soda and warm water on the solder, and scrub lightly with a toothbrush to neutralize the acid in the paste. Immerse in some soapy water, and rinse. HINT: To get the idea how the solder flows, practice on a thin piece of junk metal. Just be sure to clean and then add soldering paste. It's EASY!!
            Thanks for the tips!

Comment

nice original.

Mil

Comment

nskk

Nice eagle Donte. Look closely on the reverse around the breast feathers, there might be a small 17 for the maker. If it was made by Assmann it will be there.

Regards, Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X